Installing the VS2012 debugger on Win2008 server (not r2) RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a very frustrating and embarressing afternoon with a client.

They run a w2008 (not r2) server and my software. They had an unexplained issue that I wanted to debug. So I tried to install the remote debug tools for VS2012.

It appears that in order to run the remote debug you need the wwsapi installed on the machine. The installer has an installer link, but it doeant work. A search on the internet shows the file is not available from MS unless you pay a licence fee (around $37000).

So by my reaconing I have to spend $37000 or have the customer replace their server, JUST so I can remote debug with VS2012.

Finally there is an email link where you can request the installer. But you get an out of office reply.

How can MS release a remote debug tool that wont work on current viable servers?

Please tell me wher I can download the wwsapi or when MS will fix the remote debugger to it work like all the ones before VS2012.

My customer now thinks that I am a moron for using a development tool that doesnt allow me to support them. Showing them that the installer was broken did cut any ice. Thanks a bundle MS.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:06 AM

Answers

• >They run a w2008 (not r2) server and my software. They had an unexplained issue that I wanted to debug. So I tried to install the remote debug tools for VS2012.

I believe that the VS2012 remote debugger only works on Windows 7 and
    later OS's, so I guess Server 2008 (Vista equivalent time-frame) is
    excluded as well.

MS recommend using VS2010 or WinDbg. :(

Dave

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi FTGMan,

Like David’s suggestion, remote debugging is not available in Server 2008.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there and people can vote. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:55 AM

All replies

• >They run a w2008 (not r2) server and my software. They had an unexplained issue that I wanted to debug. So I tried to install the remote debug tools for VS2012.

I believe that the VS2012 remote debugger only works on Windows 7 and
    later OS's, so I guess Server 2008 (Vista equivalent time-frame) is
    excluded as well.

MS recommend using VS2010 or WinDbg. :(

Dave

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi FTGMan,

Like David’s suggestion, remote debugging is not available in Server 2008.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there and people can vote. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:55 AM