How to set up a fully working website using the club site starter kit in less than 24 hours RRS feed

• Question

• User-1941076836 posted

Hi,

I've written a blogpost on how you can set up a fully working website using the club site starter kit in less than 24 hours. I hope you enjoy it.

If you have any questions or remarks, please feel free to contact me.

Go check it out here!

Greetz,

Tom

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:07 AM

All replies

• User-359279839 posted
    Tom,

Thanks for the information.  I am trying to setup a new website using the "Club Starter Kit".  I am having a problem with step 2 in your blog.  The starter kit create two databases (ASPNETDB and Club) when the application is run on the local host.  Do I use these databases on the host site or do I have to create new database?  If I have to create database(s), one or both?

Tim
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:53 PM
  • User-359279839 posted
    One more question. How do I run the club-add.sql script on the new db?

Tim
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:57 PM
  • User-1941076836 posted

Hi Tim,

I host my site @ webhost4life.

They provide a tool where you can easily create/manage your database using a web-based enterprise manager. Very user-friendly.

You have to create a new (empty) database on the host andYou can run the club-add.sql scripts with the query analyser tool. Caution: Create your SQL Database with the ASP.Net 2.0 SQL Server Schema Features loaded.

Then you can point to this newly created database in your web.config file. Also notice the remove and add node in the connectionStrings section. This is needed to tell ASP.NET, it has to use the membership tables on the host when you run your site locally (for testing purposes).

Grtz,

Tom

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:07 AM
  • User1666513349 posted
    I also have hosting at webhost4life.  I am unclear of how to this up on their servers.  Could you give me a little more information on how I would this on webhost?  It would be much appreciated.    I've been trying to get them to have it installable like their other apps, but not luck so far.

Thanks,

Josh
    Friday, June 23, 2006 11:51 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

These are instructions I gave to all my refferals, Most had little or no problem with it.

WebHost4Life Setup

Set-Up time less then 1 Hour.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>If your domain name is registered elsewhere make sure you change the nameservers to point to your new site.  This needs to be done where you have your Domain name registered. <o:p></o:p>

1. Set up a subfolder on the server, you will find this in the control panel for your site under site admin on top bar and file manager on side bar. <o:p></o:p>
    2. Set the .net version on the site and folder to 2.0, .net application on side bar. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Next set up database<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Decide whether or not you are gong to use SQL 200 or 2005.  I use 200 because I have the full version and 2005 does not offer any real reasons to upgrade. <o:p></o:p>

1. Go to Database top bar the MSSQL manager on side bar. <o:p></o:p>
    2. Click create database on bar just below top bar. <o:p></o:p>
    3. You will need to give your database a name, username and password. <o:p></o:p>
    4. Go to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 and run aspnet_regsql.exe. This will set up the aspnet tables in the database. <o:p></o:p>
    5. Next use your local Query Analyzer to connect to database and run the Club-Add.sql to add the club tables ect. <o:p></o:p>
    6. If you do not have Query Analyzer you will need to run it from the control panel,  I believe this may be tough, call me if it wont run that way. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Now you are ready to prepare the CSK for upload.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Set up connection string in web.config <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p><connectionStrings><o:p></o:p>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/><o:p></o:p>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Server=severname;Database=databasename;User ID=userid;Password=password;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/><o:p></o:p>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Server=servername;Database=databasename;User ID=userid;Password=password;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/><o:p></o:p>

</connectionStrings><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>If the tables and procedures were not created with DBO as the table owner. Do a find and replace on all instances of dbo and replace them with the username you chose for your database.  Reason is the tables and procedures were created with your username as the tables and procedures owner. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>for now set custom errors to off <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p><customErrors mode="Off"/><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>In VWD or Visual studio go to website (Top bar) asp.net configuration and set up Admin account. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>5. Hit Ctrl F5 and test your site. If alls well you are ready for upload. If not let me know what error is thrown.  I’m writing these instructions from memory and although I’ve done it 4 times myself and helped 2 others I still could have missed something.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>You will need to create an aspx page for the root directory to point to the subfolder.  This will make it easier to add a second site should you choose.  Just create a default.aspx for the root and add the following to redirect automatically to the proper site. Save it locally, set up an ftp folder and copy and paste it to the root.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p> <%@ Page Language="C#" %><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<script runat="server"><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)<o:p></o:p>

{<o:p></o:p>

string sname = Request.ServerVariables["SERVER_NAME"].ToString().ToUpper();<o:p></o:p>

if (sname.Contains("ASPSKSOLUTIONS.COM"))<o:p></o:p>

Response.Redirect("/aspsk");<o:p></o:p>

else<o:p></o:p>

Response.Redirect("aspsk/default.aspx");<o:p></o:p>

}<o:p></o:p>

</script><o:p></o:p>

<html><o:p></o:p>

<body><o:p></o:p>

</body><o:p></o:p>

</html><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Just replace ASPSKSOLUTIONS.COM with your secondary domain name or your primary if you are only using 1 for now, make sure it is all capitalized.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Replace the 2 redirect to the correct folder( Mine are both the same because I only have one site at this time)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p> 

Friday, June 23, 2006 12:52 PM
  • User1666513349 posted
    Very helpful.  Thanks!

Im almost up and running.  Whats the best way to do a find an replace on dbo?
    Friday, June 23, 2006 4:33 PM