Linked Table Manager Issue - Microsoft Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running an Access program with multiple large databases on several different computers using a server and domain. The server I am using is new, and the destination address for the folder containing the databases changed when I had my new server installed.

I was able to link the Access program to the new destination of the databases using the Linked Table Manager just fine, and once I did so on one computer it updated the links for all of the other computers as well. ...with one exception. For some reason, there is a single computer that did not have its links updated like the rest. Here's what has me so frustrated: when I update the links (using the Linked Table Manger) on the renegade computer, it un-links the databases on all of the other computers and vice versa.

I am a lot of things, but a tech whiz is not one of them. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I appreciate any help!

Friday, January 9, 2015 11:12 PM

Answers

• The behavior you are describing is bad, because it points at the front-end being on the server. It should not. Remove it right away.

With the front-end on your workstation, link the tables. Then copy that front-end to each user's computer (e.g. the My Documents folder). Then everyone should be golden and you have deployed the application per best practices.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:56 AM
  • If you MUST have a single front end used by many users, then don't relink using a drive letter.  Create your linked table using the network path ...

\\servername\sharename\folder\somefile.accdb

By doing that, all your users should have access to the same network resource through this common path, but maintain the drive letter they map to that resource.

---

But ... to join in with the others, it is best that each user has their own private copy of the Front End.  That private copy can be on the network, but it should be only accessible by a single user -- like in the users private network folder.

Brent Spaulding | Access MVP

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:06 AM

All replies

• Just to be sure: the installation has 1 copy of the data on the server, and 1 copy each of the Front End on the users computers?

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:45 AM
  • The behavior you are describing is bad, because it points at the front-end being on the server. It should not. Remove it right away.

With the front-end on your workstation, link the tables. Then copy that front-end to each user's computer (e.g. the My Documents folder). Then everyone should be golden and you have deployed the application per best practices.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:56 AM
  • If you MUST have a single front end used by many users, then don't relink using a drive letter.  Create your linked table using the network path ...

\\servername\sharename\folder\somefile.accdb

By doing that, all your users should have access to the same network resource through this common path, but maintain the drive letter they map to that resource.

---

But ... to join in with the others, it is best that each user has their own private copy of the Front End.  That private copy can be on the network, but it should be only accessible by a single user -- like in the users private network folder.

Brent Spaulding | Access MVP

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Worked like a charm! Thanks :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:03 PM