Passing Checkbox values across xaml pages and save them to a Database

General discussion

• Hi I'm quite new to Windows 8 and c# developement. So a little background to what I want to achieve, I'm building an Windows 8 store app that will take a user through a number of steps for a situation and depending on what they will select will output onto a result page. For each situation, I have 2 xaml pages that contains the steps i.e Step 1, First xaml page, Step 2 second xaml page. <

Both step pages contains checkboxes for the user to select what they feel relates to them/ is correct.

When the user in is step 1 they can select whatever checkboxes, click next

The app will take them to the second page, they can check whatever checkboxes

when they select save it will save into my azure database what they have selected

Take them to a 3rd xaml pages providing them with the results of whatever they have selected. <o:p></o:p>

For this to work I believe I need a database table to store the values, pass the the values along each page, to the final end screen and then insert the values into the database table.

So then, I can pull down the values into a that page, that were entered into that database table, providing the user with whatever they have selected?

I'll be created a static object steps class to set each value of the checkboxes, updating some properties of the object in each step then in my final step have the entire object and push it to the database.

Basically my question is:
    How do I pass checkbox values that will have assigned values across each page and then push them to a database?
    Also is my logic correct here, should I be doing something else?

Any examples or tutorials that work with passing checkbox values across xaml pages would be appreciated.

--Thanks Bronagh

Bronagh

Friday, April 18, 2014 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Bronagh,

I have changed this post to a discussion because there is not a single answer to your question. One way to go about this is to store your check box values in a "global" dictionary object that is updated when each page is completed. You can then convert the dictionary to Json and pass it to Microsoft Azure Mobile Services. This is common practice but there are other ways to serialize your data.

If you are a visual person like me our Mobile Services Channel 9 page is a great place to get started:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Azure-Mobile-Services

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:28 PM
  • Hi James,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I'm unsure what you mean by converting the dictionary to a json? How can this be accomplished?

I'm a little unclear as to why I need a Json file? As I already have a few forms set up that allow the user to add data to my database tables and it reads back into my app, by simply binding my listview to a datatemplate.

Would I have to convert the Json back when I want reread the data back into my app?

Thanks,

Bronagh

Bronagh

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:09 PM
  • Hello Bronagh,

The Json suggestion was based on the assumption that you are using Microsoft Azure Mobile services that uses a RESTful API based on Json. Again there are a lot of different ways of solving your problem. I guess I need more specifics about the technologies you are using and how you want to do things before I can really make a good suggestion. If you would like to post more information and a small VS 2013 project showing what you are trying to do I might be able to give you some other suggestions.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:29 PM