[MS-SMB2] Handling SMB2_0_INFO_SECURITY - STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL - ByteCount value RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

[MS-SMB2] 3.3.5.20.3 Handling SMB2_0_INFO_SECURITY specify:

If the OutputBufferLength given in the client request is either zero or is insufficient to hold the information requested, the server MUST fail the request with STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL.

If Connection.Dialect is "3.1.1", [..]; otherwise, the server MUST return error data with ByteCount set to 2 and ErrorData set to a 4-byte value indicating the minimum required buffer length.

I've captured packets of a session between Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP1. Windows Server 2008 SP1 set ByteCount to 4 which makes much more sense since this is a 4-byte value, could this be a typo in MS-SMB2?

sending packet capture to dochelp (at) microsoft.com

Monday, September 25, 2017 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Tal:

I have verified and as your network trace shows, the ByteCount in the error response is set to 4.

I have filed a bug against MS-SMB2 to correct this typo in the document.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Tal,

Thank you for posting your issue regarding MS-SMB2 section 3.3.5.20.3. I have created a service request for you and included the packet captures you provided with the service request. A member of the Open Specifications team will be contacting you regarding your issue. 

Sincerely,

Will Gregg | open specifications team

Monday, September 25, 2017 11:46 PM
  • Hi Tal:

I have verified and as your network trace shows, the ByteCount in the error response is set to 4.

I have filed a bug against MS-SMB2 to correct this typo in the document.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:21 PM