Configure Windows Azure Site Settings: Cannot select a region. Unable to get location information. RRS feed

• Question

• First off, forgive me if I have placed this question in the wrong place; this is my first time and I felt this was the closest. If you know of a better place, please point me in the right direction.

So. I am following the guide from Microsoft, Get started with Azure Web Sites for ASP.NET <http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-dotnet-get-started/>. I am in the "Create an ASP.NET web application" section, on step 13. Here, it asks me to select a region which is closest to me. However, when I click the <Select a region> dropdown, nothing is there. On the side, where there should be a green check mark, I instead get a red exclamation point. When I hover over the red, an error appears across the screen that is cut off so that I can not read it all. It reads "Unable to get location information. Cannot find Subscription with name subscription_id_of_the_project. There was no endpoint listening at https://management.core.windows.net/subscriptionID/services/webspaces/?prop" and there it stops.

I have searched for this problem as widely as I can (I googled it a lot, of which I am fairly competent at doing), and cannot find anybody else with this error. To be honest, I'm not really sure what's going on. 

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Update 2 on Windows 8.1. I have two different subscriptions that I have tried, a free trial subscription and a pay-as-you-go subscription. 

Help?

Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you signed in in step 13? I tested it on my local, the dropdown list was not empty. If you have signed in, could you create a new azure website in azure manage portal? Could you see the region option? Please give me further information here.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by KashLeeC Monday, May 19, 2014 6:34 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you signed in in step 13? I tested it on my local, the dropdown list was not empty. If you have signed in, could you create a new azure website in azure manage portal? Could you see the region option? Please give me further information here.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by KashLeeC Monday, May 19, 2014 6:34 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I was signed in for step 13. I even made sure by signing in and out various ways. It would pull up a list of subscriptions to choose from, so I know it was signed in. However, as I chose a subscription, the error would change the subscription_id, but that was it.

While going to the Windows Azure Portal and creating a new website (in the web interface), the list of regions was available. I created a new website and everything worked fine. THEN, when I went back to Visual Studio, everything started to work correctly and the dropdown list for the region was populated correctly.

I'm not sure what happened to let this happen, but that's how it was fixed for me. I hope it works for any others that come across this problem. Thank you for your suggestion, it works fine now.

Monday, May 19, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

I am hitting the same issue. In my case, even when I go to Azure management portal, I am not able to populate regions when I create a website. Any idea how I can fix this?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:59 PM