Could not start SQL Server PolyBase Engine

Question

• I had to to installed the PolyBase on my SQL Server 2016 RC2. After installed I can start onl SQL Server PolyBase Data Movement Service, but the SQL Server PolyBase Engine Service could not start. It show me the error message "Windows could not start SQL Server PolyBase Engine" and in the services.msc show me "Starting" for the SQL Server PolyBase Engine Service as in the picture below

Anyone can help and thank for advance.

Thanks.

Chawalit

Sunday, May 01, 2016 1:49 AM

Answers

• You will need to set TCP/IP protocol to Enabled under SQL Server Network Configuration\Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.  Then restart the main SQL Service so settings take effect, and then the SQL Server PolyBase Engine service should start.

Josh

• Marked as answer by Chawalit Saturday, May 07, 2016 5:03 AM
    Saturday, May 07, 2016 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try upgrading to RC3.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2016

Set both Polybase services to start automatically instead of manual.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, May 01, 2016 7:39 PM
  • I had to upgrade to RC3 Developer Edition and now it still can not start both of SQL Server PolyBase Engine Service and SQL Server PolyBase Data Movement. The services are still Starting not Running. Any help please advice.

Thanks.

Friday, May 06, 2016 9:46 AM
  • You will need to set TCP/IP protocol to Enabled under SQL Server Network Configuration\Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.  Then restart the main SQL Service so settings take effect, and then the SQL Server PolyBase Engine service should start.

Josh

• Marked as answer by Chawalit Saturday, May 07, 2016 5:03 AM
    Saturday, May 07, 2016 2:30 AM
  • After to set TCP/IP protocol to Enabled under SQL Server Network Configuration\Protocols for MSSQLSERVER. And the restart SQL Server, SQL Server PolyBase Engine Service and SQL Server PolyBase Data Movement the all services can start.

Thank you Josh for help.

Thanks 

Saturday, May 07, 2016 5:05 AM