Language RRS feed

• Question

• I created an app for WP7 where the UI is dutch. The first version was published before the platform supported the dutch language, so I put a notification of this in the description.

If I want to upgrade this app, can I still use this notification or do I need to do something else? I can't change the language of the app since you can't remove a language, just add others...

Visit my blog Coding Adventures to read the most annoying coding troubles and there solutions

Monday, January 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't understand what you mean by 'can I still use this notification'

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:12 PM
  • This is more of an app publishing policy question.

IIRC: If you publish a localized app in a region with a different default language then your description, in the Store, needs to include some kind of explanation of the app in the default language for that region.  Check the publishing requirements for the exact requirements.

-Eric.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:19 PM
  • I've read that requirement. The problem is that the language wasn't supported in the previously so I put an explanation in the description. Today the language is supported. If I change the "default language" to Dutch I can't publish because I should also upload an English version ('cause that is the default language of the current version). Since Dutch is supported at this moment is it enough the include the explanation?

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Forwarding to the correct forum for that answer

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Thanks for this action, hopefuly someone here can help me.
    • Edited by Feron.it Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Hello Feron,

If I understand correctly, you wish to remove support for English from your app.

There is not an officially supported way to remove a language since once a language has been supported you should continue to support it for the life of the app.

That being said, some developers have had success by removing all resources that reference the old language. There are some discussions on the forums from developers that have done this successfully, however, since it is not supported their instructions may not work for your app.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Windows 8 UI Developer Support

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:20 AM
  • Did I get it right? There is NO WAY to stop supporting some specific language? Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:53 AM