Automatic Failover RRS feed

• Question

• Is It possible in ASR?

I have some VM replicated in Azure with ASR....

Is it possible create an "automatic failover"???

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:55 PM

Answers

• With ASR you will create a Failover Plan, steps to be conducted during failover. When you decide to failover your infra, only one button will be hited.

I understand what is your concern. You want that somehow, a mechanism will detect failure and kick off the failover process. But this is not as easy as you think, Why? Because till today, there is no Artificial Intelligence that can think and take such difficult decision. Don't you realize that failing over a production infrastructure will have consequences ?? 

All you workloads will be in Azure, network degradation, downtime, dns changing, new experience and a lot of consequences that imho, will be an Enterprise decision.

What if for some reason, a power outage happens in your Datacenter, and that Automatic Failover procedure starts after 15 minutes of downtime. What if you knew that this just a button in your powersupply that you have to hit, And that the person will need 16 minutes to be there !

The real life is : someone needs to evaluate the situation and than make a decision. The decision is to click the Failover button an Azure, and Azure will do everything for you

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowldge with the community https://buildwindows.wordpress.com

• Edited by SAMIR FARHATMVP Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by GpC72 Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:36 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi GpC72,

There is no automatic failover built in the portal. However, you can use the powershell SDK to trigger a failover. You can use the on-premises Orchestrator or SCOM to witness a VM failure and decide to trigger the failover using the SDK. This will make it automatic.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn850420.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

Ruturaj

Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:15 AM

All replies

• however I NOT find explain how set up an automatic failover procedure when the original VM is in failure....

I askthe questionagain....

Is it possible create an "automatic failover"???

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:40 PM
  • ...to activate the azure VM I have to click to "Failover" ...... There is no automatic procedure!!!!!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:42 PM
  • We don't have provision for automatic procedure. ASR solution is automated DR where with one click we are able to bring up VM's, multi-tier applications .

Thanks

Shashank

Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:28 AM
    Answerer
  • With ASR you will create a Failover Plan, steps to be conducted during failover. When you decide to failover your infra, only one button will be hited.

I understand what is your concern. You want that somehow, a mechanism will detect failure and kick off the failover process. But this is not as easy as you think, Why? Because till today, there is no Artificial Intelligence that can think and take such difficult decision. Don't you realize that failing over a production infrastructure will have consequences ?? 

All you workloads will be in Azure, network degradation, downtime, dns changing, new experience and a lot of consequences that imho, will be an Enterprise decision.

What if for some reason, a power outage happens in your Datacenter, and that Automatic Failover procedure starts after 15 minutes of downtime. What if you knew that this just a button in your powersupply that you have to hit, And that the person will need 16 minutes to be there !

The real life is : someone needs to evaluate the situation and than make a decision. The decision is to click the Failover button an Azure, and Azure will do everything for you

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowldge with the community https://buildwindows.wordpress.com

• Edited by SAMIR FARHATMVP Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by GpC72 Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:36 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi GpC72,

There is no automatic failover built in the portal. However, you can use the powershell SDK to trigger a failover. You can use the on-premises Orchestrator or SCOM to witness a VM failure and decide to trigger the failover using the SDK. This will make it automatic.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn850420.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

Ruturaj

Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:15 AM