none
License for Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools

Question

• The Visual C++ compiler ins now available as a standalone package "The Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools", whereas previously it was only available as part of Visual Studio 2015.

The license for Visual Studio 2015 is free for open source or small teams (< 100 people in the company). However, the license for this package doesn't mention anything about free / commercial use.

I want to use this to develop compiled Python modules on Windows. I have no need for the full Visual Studio package. I just need the C compiler/linker. Is this OK to use for commercial projects, assuming I'm working for a company that would normally have to pay for a Visual Studio license? The license for the standalone build tools mentions nothing about fees or commercial licensing.

I can't link to the relevant documents as my account isn't verified yet. The link to the build tools license was in the installer itself rather than on the download website.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Snorfalorpagus,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As far as I know, you do NOT have to buy an additional license of VS2015. Our goal with the Build Tools is that if you have a license for VS already (that is, you bought Enterprise or Professional for your company, or you are using Community for yourself or your small organization) that you can use the Build Tools on your build server or continuous integration server. And my understanding of the Build Tools SKU license (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/support/legal/mt644918) seems to support that (compare to the Enterprise/Professional license here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/support/legal/mt171576, see the section on “Use Rights”.)

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

My question is more about if I do not have a licence for VS2015. Can I still use the standalone build tools for commerical projects?

Josh

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

As far as I know, it is free to use because there is no requirement in official site.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:36 AM
  • You can find the license information from this blog: Announcing the official release of the Visual C++ Build Tools 2015

The majority of your feedback can be summed up in two points:

1. You want to use the Build Tools in a production environment. You need us to get these tools out of preview and ship them with a go-live license.

Today, we’re happy to announce that we’re answering both of these suggestions.

1. The Visual C++ Build Tools 2015 now ship with a go-live license. You can adopt the Build Tools in production environments just as you would the full Visual Studio 2015 release.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:14 AM