none
H1 Tag Relevance Advice RRS feed

• Question

• If you have a webpage with multiple sections that are all equal in importance how would you tag them?

For example, if you had a home page that describes four services that you provide: Service 1, Service 2, Service 3, Service 4.  Would you make each an H1 tag?

If so why?  If not why?

Tony
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:45 PM

All replies

• It seems that there's no reason not to, nor any recommendation to do so.
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/Use_h1_for_Title
    Expression Web MVP
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I use h1 for the page not the section. For each section I'd use h2 or lower as appropriate.

Semantic web pages are like an outline and there is only one top level heading in an outline. Others may feel differently but that's my viewpoint.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:17 PM
  • FWIW,

I had a similar question not long ago. Only mine related to font size relative to the H's and this may be a case where the font size might help you as well to only have one h1 for semantics sake but to scale them down to better layout your pages.  I hope you understand what I am trying to say.  Your question speaks more to form/semantics where my comment is more related to appearance aesthetics or display.

Just a thought  have a good day,

Mike E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Headings are relative, not absolute, semantically speaking.

I have read that you should not have more than three <h1>s on a page and that Google prefers just one.

To me, the logical use of headings would be

H1-Our Production Services
       H2-Service1
       H2-Service2
       H2-Service3
       H2-Service4

What do you mean, "'twas brillig"?!?
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:18 PM
  • "What do you mean, "'twas brillig"?!?"

Bill, if you know, please let Alice know.  :)

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:25 PM
  • The point of that signature would have been clearer if I could have used italics.

The implication is that it still pretty much 'tis, don't you find? ;-)

Edit: Ha! I forgot that I could put code in my sig to style it manually. It should be clearer now.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:42 PM