about to network monitor RRS feed

• Question

• hi my english is very bad and, i wish your sorry... my guestion about to nework monitor.How do I know if my users to follow the online videos?my local network to network monitor application thanks....
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:03 PM

Answers

• I think you are asking how to know if users are viewing online videos.  It might be possible to user Network Monitor to determine this, but you would have to know the exact traffic you are looking for?  Video comes in many different formats, so you would have to build a filter to find any of the traffic.  I don't know if this is trivial, but there are a few video protocols you could search on.  But to be honest, this is probalby not the best way. Instead I would look at the traffic in general and see if the streams of data (UDP or TCP) contain consistent updated traffic.  Then you could look for streamed video of HTTP or broadcast traffic over UDP.  The TopUsers expert might help you determine who is using the most overall bandwidth, which might also be a clue.

Another factor is that you have to make sure you can capture in a location where you will see all the traffic.  And in doing so, you might get overwhelmed with the ammount of traffic you have to capture.  This depends on the number of machines you are monitoring and how much traffic they each send.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:58 PM