none
Excel 2010 VBA source link error message RRS feed

• Question

• In a xlsm workbook I have an auto open macro that opens a workbook that has a user form with multiple buttons linked to the master workbook. The user form book has no macros, only links to all my VBA code. This was updated from a very old Excel project.

When the user form book opens it gives the error message: "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated". If you click the "Continue" button everything is fine. If you click the "Edit Links" button you see the master workbook and under status it says "Unknown" even though the book is open though hidden. (This was not an issue in older Excel).

If you click "Check Status" the status updates and says "Open" and you continue. So nothing goes wrong but I don't want my clients to have to click continue every time they start the program.

I have set AskToUpdateLinks - DisplayAlerts to false. Used On Error Resume Next but nothing stops the bogus error.

All suggestions welcome!

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please share more information how you set the link?

>>When the user form book opens it gives the error message: "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated".

Normally, if there are links in the workbook, I think we would receive prompt to Update or Don’t Update when the workbook opened and at the same time, "Ask to update automatic links" in the Excel Options should be selected.

If it alert that "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated", It indicates that you Update the links and the links are invalid.

For your case, do you update the link in your macro?

I suggest you check the code and remove the sentence to update the link.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:54 AM
  • Hi sorry for the late reply have had other fires to put out.

Links are set to auto update. The code workbook (Book1) is opened first which then opens the form workbook (Book2 - no code) that has user buttons that link to Book1. Prior to 2010 this was never an issue (that includes 95, 97 and 2000).

So the error message claims that the source workbook is "unknown" until you click "Check source" which it then refreshes and says - oh yeah there it is. It's been open all the time. If instead you click "Continue" you in fact continue, no errors or problems. So the error is false.

I did add some code in the auto open sequence to ignore errors, update links etc to no avail. I since have removed it. I'm stumped.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:03 PM