Roadmap for Developing Metro Style Windows 8 Apps for a Complete Newbie.

General discussion

• Hi,

I am a completely newbie to programming but I do want to learn and start developing Metro Style Apps for Windows 8. I have the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Visual Studio 11 Express. While going through the guides for it, I came across the fact that it could be done using a variety languages ala Javascript, Visual Basic, C++, etc. So I wanted an expert opinion on which language should I start learning and would be the easiest. And if you could also share some resources or guides that I could learn from. I have the book Visual C++ 2010 by Ivor Horton. I read a few chapters from it. So should I continue reading that or abandon it for some other resource more tailored towards Windows 8 apps.

The Windows 8 Apps are so amazing, I can't wait for Windows 8 to release and start making apps of my own.

Cheers

Anagh Narain

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

because your a programming newbie it depends on your interests. I would say that XAML/C# is the best option for learning it (but it doesn't harm to have a look at the other options), because JavaScript and C++ are not the easiest languages to start learning and the concepts of C# could also be used in other programming languages. With XAML/C# you have XAML concepts like data binding which could make your life easy. If you're more interested in web development you can also use HTML5/JS.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Are XAML and C# 2 different languages or XAML as some kind of addon/extension. Also so now do I search for C# tutorials or XAML tutorials. It would be really super if you could give me a link to some resource online. 

Cheers Anagh Narain

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:53 PM
  • They are different C# is a programming language and XAML is a markup language, but the XAML code will be mapped to C# classes. That means everything you can do in XAML can also be done in C# (I would not recommend to do that, only in special cases). An introduction to XAML could be found on the site of Christian Moser - http://wpftutorial.net/XAML.html

This site works with WPF, but most of these tutorials are the same for Windows 8. The main resource for Windows 8 is http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/

Here you have a lot of XAML/C# samples. If you search for other sample you should have a look at the MSDN gallery - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-8-Modern-Style-App-Samples

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Thank You Horizon_Net

Cheers Anagh Narain

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi Anagh,

A. Regarding programming language preferences - As always programming language choice is yours. Select what fits you best and that's why you have been given lot of options. Options are not to confuse you but they are there to help you do things using what you are best at. Still Microsoft has clearly recommended scenarios for choosing programming languages for Windows 8 Metro Style Apps development. Look here for this recommendation. I prefer to follow C# roadmap for Metro Apps because of my experience in Windows Desktop Application Development using C# and WPF.

A. Recommendation to get started for developing Windows 8 Metro Style Apps in Simplified Manner - As I'm involved with Windows for long time and love to program in Windows I had expected that there will be need of some simplified approach to get started with Windows 8 development. This is because with time Windows operating system has evovled with so many advance features and thus become bit complex. I still recommend you best bet is MSDN for all your needs. In interest of Windows 8 Metro Style Apps Developers I had tried to put some efforts and come up with Simplified Roadmap for Windows 8 Metro Style Apps Development. Hope you will also found this learning roadmap useful for your need.

Happy Programming.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:06 AM