none
Unable to install Visual Studio 15 Community - Windows 10. It just hangs

Question

• Hello,

I'm unable to install Visual Studio.  It simply hangs after acquiring the components. Nothing gets installed. I have tried using the disc image as well and there is not difference. I have also tried deleting all prior visual studio and visual C++ etc.

What can I do?

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hello MoisheG,

Question: Are you trying VS 2017 (aka "15") or 2015?

Assuming you're trying VS2017:

Even the current RC version of VS2017 is unstable and no support exists.

Can you post any error or installation log messages we can analyse?

Still, can you try to install one of the other editions (Professional or Enterprise) of VS2017RC? All are free at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/

If all fails (and installing-uninstalling-installing might corrupt any OS installation), a full OS reinstall is always an option (worst case).

Also, being a RC and unstable, you can try to install it on a VM (local or cloud, such as Azure... In a one month Azure free trial you can use a VS2017 complete VM)...

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

André Melancia | Developer / DBA / Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) | Andy.PT

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:36 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I'm trying to install VS Community 2015.  Just the regular install that you get from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691978&clcid=0x409

Saturday, December 31, 2016 1:41 AM
  • Hello MoisheG,

Can you post any errors, logs and screenshots we can look at?

Cheers.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 4:36 PM
  • I uploaded a screen shot here: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Au4OitdDsMxSifglmnOYnUA4yImy8Q

It just hangs when installing "Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015". No errors are reported.

In Task Manager details there are two vs_community.exe processes other than the bootstrapper. One of the processes has 0 CPU use and is waiting for VSSetupUtility.exe which also has 0 CPU usage. That process is not waiting for anything else.  So that appears to be the culprit.

I've added relevant log files (I think) to the link above
    • Edited by MoisheG Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:14 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Hello MoisheG,

It really seems to hang while downloading/using updates from the Internet.

Can you try running the SETUP.EXE with the parameter /NoRefresh and/or /NoWeb ?

(All params here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt720584.aspx  ).

If it doesn't work, sugestions:

• Try VS2017 RC (Community, Professional or Enterprise);
    • Reinstall the PC (yes, probably a good option).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• Edited by AndyPTMVP Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:18 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:17 PM
  • Hi Andre, I ran the install from the full ISO as admin with /NoWeb and /NoRefresh.  It completes the "acquire" part and hangs at VSSetup. And when I cancel the overall installation VSSetup will not die. I also can't kill it from Task Manager.

I've also tried to run with internet disconnected.  Same result.

FWIW, the PC is very new Windows 10 X1 Yoga.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hello MoisheG,

There may be something you installed/uninstalled that prevents VS2015 from installing.

Can you try VS2017RC from https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/ ? You can use the Enterprise edition for free.

If that doesn't work, sadly only 2 options: either reinstall the computer or put VS in a VM. If your computer can handle it, VM is always the best option.

Cheers.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:19 PM
  • Hi MoisheG,

Welcome to the MSDN forum,

>> In Task Manager details there are two vs_community.exe processes other than the bootstrapper. One of the processes has 0 CPU use and is waiting for VSSetupUtility.exe which also has 0 CPU usage. That process is not waiting for anything else.

I found a similar issue and lliuta Florin looks like met the same scenario, it looks like the installation stuck on the VSSetupUtility.exe, please try to directly kill this process, then see if the installation keep moving or not?

Meanwhile, there are some factors that caused the hang on issue during the installation, please have a try with the following to troubleshot:

1.  Make sure windows update is up-to-date, disable any antivirus like AVG and clean up %temp%, run the installer as administrator.

2. Open the Task Manager in detail mode, look for a sub-installer process that showing 0% CPU usage and 0% disk usage, indicating it has died. Then just kill that process and the master installation will resume. Or open Task Manager in detail mode--> Go to the "Details" tab--> Right Click the VisualStudio Process-->Click on the "Analyze wait chain". You will see the name of the process which is responsible for the wait. Kill this process and the installation maybe process quickly.

3. When it gets stuck during installation, cancel it, but don’t uninstall. Go to the Control PanelàPrograms and Features and select repair VS.

4. Turing off the internet connection, then re-run the VS installer of the ISO file as administrator

5. For windows 10, disable windows defender

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 02, 2017 6:20 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for chiming in. I had done much of what you suggested already except turn off Windows Defender. Ultimately, I am not able to end the VSSetupUtility.exe.  It says Access Denied.  If I "repair", it simply starts another process which doesn't go anywhere and can't be killed.

I had to go into RegEdit to turn off Windows Defender. I see activity now but it seems to be stalling in while installing update prerequisites. Will update again 

Monday, January 02, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Hi MoisheG,

Thank you for your update.

About the error message 'Access Denied', did you run the installer as administrator?

If there are some VS instance in the Task Manager, you can try to kill them, then repair VS to check this issue again.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:01 AM