RC 0 Compound Deploy Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've got three projects I'm working with. A server project. It deploys on its own just fine. A copy of AdventureWorks. It deploys fine too. And a third project that combines the two others so that I can refer to objects from each to create a new database with some different security settings (simulating a development environment). It's failing with this error:

C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v9.0\TeamData\Microsoft.Data.Schema.SqlTasks.targets(120,5)Error MSB4018: The "SqlDeployTask" task failed unexpectedly.
    Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModelException: Failed to load C:\Documents and Settings\fritcheyg\Local Settings\Temp\tmp77.tmp. ---> Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.ModelSerializationException: The reference to the element that has the name [sys].[hierarchyid] could not be resolved because no element with that name exists.
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.ModelXmlSerializer.ReferenceLinker.ResolveInternalElementReferences()
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.ModelXmlSerializer.LoadExternals(DataSchemaModel dataSchemaModel, XmlReader reader, String fileName, IExternalReferenceParts externalPartsSubstitution, String logicalSourceName, Boolean suppressErrorsForMissingDependencies)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModel.OnCustomDataAdded(CustomSchemaData customData)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModel.ThrowReferenceLoadingException(Exception innerException, String fileName)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModel.OnCustomDataAdded(CustomSchemaData customData)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Sql.SchemaModel.SqlServer.SqlSchemaModel.OnCustomDataAdded(CustomSchemaData customData)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModel.AddCustomData(CustomSchemaData customData, Boolean raiseEvents)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.SchemaModel.DataSchemaModel.AddCustomData(CustomSchemaData customData)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Sql.Build.SqlDeployment.ImportServerModel(SqlSchemaModel catalogModel, String connectionString)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Sql.Build.SqlDeployment.SqlValidator.Validate(SqlPlanGenerationOptions options, SqlSchemaModel source, SqlSchemaModel target)
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Sql.Build.SqlDeployment.OnVerifyModels()
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Build.Deployment.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Data.Schema.Tasks.DBDeployTask.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)
       Done executing task "SqlDeployTask" -- FAILED.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• Bad news. The same issue is back again. On the same project. The problem I had was a syntax error in the server project. Now I can't find any errors. I'm not sure why it's failing. Stinks. I'm presenting this bloody thing next week at PASS.
    • Marked as answer by StevenPo Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:46 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• Just a follow-up. I deleted the entire folder and started again, only putting the pieces together one at a time and testing at each step. Everything worked until I put the Server project into the compound project. That's when I generated the error above.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I must be as dumb as I look. I finally found an error in the Server project. Fixing that, fixed the issue. I can deploy the compound project now.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Grant, gald to see you managed to find a solution by fixing an error in your server project.  However, I am now experiencing the same problems, can you possibly let me know what the error was in your server project?
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Bad news. The same issue is back again. On the same project. The problem I had was a syntax error in the server project. Now I can't find any errors. I'm not sure why it's failing. Stinks. I'm presenting this bloody thing next week at PASS.
    • Marked as answer by StevenPo Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:46 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:32 PM
  •   I'm closing out old forum posts so we can focus the team's attention on active threads. If you are still experiencing blocking issues, please remove the "Answered" flag, and reply with updated information about the issues that you are having. Apologies for the original non-response. The team went "dark" to get the GDR release out the door and forum participation suffered in the process.
    Steven Powell (MSFT), Technical Writer
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:46 PM