copyright issues? RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I am new to visual c++

I have written a simple windows forms application using some visual c++ code which targets .net framework 4

I wonder perhaps naively whether the application has a commercial potential (I guess you have to fail many times and start somewhere........)

i read in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms235299(v=vs.100).aspx :

'When you deploy an application, you must also deploy the files that are required to support it. If any of these files are provided by Microsoft, check whether you are permitted to redistribute them. To view a list of permitted files, see Redist.txt in the ..\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\ folder on the computer where Visual Studio is installed. To review the Microsoft Software License Terms, see Eula.txt on the Visual Studio 2010 installation media.'

i have visual studio express and cannot locate either redist.txt or Eula.txt (not for visual studio anyway).

one version of my application uses AxInterop.WMPLib.1.0.dll and Interop.WMPLib.1.0.dll and requires windows mediaplayer 9

i also have used some Microsoft images (however it now seems impossible to search Microsoft images without the latest version of Office) - although it now seems impossible to obtain Microsoft images without latest Office, are there copyright issues relating to the ones i have downloaded?  i do not want to do anything illegal

also, are there issues relating to visual c++ code?

i apologise if my questions are naïve

Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:20 AM

Answers

• I'd suggest looking for [pretty much] anything under a Creative Commons Licence (not sure if Our Friends in Redmond do anything like that).  

Regards, Phill W.

• Marked as answer by antunny Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:23 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:55 PM

All replies

• This forum is for the presentation layer Windows Forms. 

Your question is about licences for whatever program language. 

If you have legally a Microsoft Visual Studio from whatever version which is launched this century, then you have also the right to deploy programs made with it as long as you did not add parts which you don't own.

The right on mediaplayer is not included in that. However, if the user has the right on that package then is your interop part only an technical interface to that.

For the right on Microsoft images you have to contact Microsoft themselves. Any reply in this forum including mine does not mean that you have fulfilled the requirements for using any right of Microsoft. For that you have to contact them selves. These forums are end user forums and are only managed by Microsoft persons to keep the forums correct, but who are not giving legal Microsoft answers.

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

Success
    Cor

Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:39 AM
  • i'm sorry i don't think i understand what you mean by 'parts which you don't own'.  does that relate to the IDE itself?  or the program you produce?  are you referring to items like images, or parts of other people's programs?

does what you say about mediaplayer mean i am free to include the same in my program and as long as any recipient of the program has a legal copy of the relevant mediaplayer it is ok?

cannot see any way i can contact microsoft directly but there appear to be various websites offering images so i guess i can use these.

thanks for your help

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:17 PM
  • If you build an application using Visual Studio, you're OK.  

If you include [sample] images that came with Visual Studio, you're usually OK but not for any images that are actually used within the Studio product itself (so you can't "borrow", say,  'Studio's toolbar buttons). 

If you include dll's that you've written yourself, that's fine. 

If you include dll's that you obtained from somebody else, then you're on shaky ground.   Some people do allow you to redistribute their work - check the terms and conditions - but most (i.e. those that charge you money) will get most upset if you basically "steal" their work and give it away as/ with your own.  Some years back , Developers tried to use fm20.dll to add enhance their applications with the fancy-shmancy controls in that dll, which was a shame, really, because fm20.dll ships with MS Office, for which you [still] have to pay cash money.

The interop dlls that you mention are only a "way in" to the media player application so they should be available on a machine that has [the right version of] media player installed.  You don't ship them with your application; you just "trust" that they'll be there once your program arrives. 

Regards, Phill W.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 1:02 PM
  • that's great - the images are ones i got from microsoft's website (i think they have recently changed it so it is geared towards windows 8 users...........) - nothing to do with visual studio - maybe they are part of clipart?  i thought i saw somewhere that if you credit microsoft you can use their images (but i have not actually seen that officially from microsoft and maybe i am safer using another website offering images?)

Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I'd suggest looking for [pretty much] anything under a Creative Commons Licence (not sure if Our Friends in Redmond do anything like that).  

Regards, Phill W.

• Marked as answer by antunny Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:23 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:55 PM
  • thanks very much for your help!
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:23 PM