Show search results by searching with keywords used in connected lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

i have a custom webpart page with a search results webpart. Almost everything works fine, i can refine my results and search with a search box for specific keywords. 

Situation: I show results from a specific custom list. There are several lists which are connected to this "main" list. Now i want to show search results from the main list if i search with a keyword that isnt in the main list but in one of the connected lists

Example:

Main List: 

Item 1(Name: Atilla ; Description: DDD)

Item 2(Name: Dre; Description: AAA)

Child List:

Item 1(Name(Main List): Atilla ; State: California)

Search(Main List): California

and Search Result should show Item 1

How can i achieve this ?

Thanks

• Edited by Atilla87 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:23 AM Marking
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Atilla87,

We cannot search items in child lists to get the result items in the parent list using OOB search results web part.

We can search items in these child lists and get results from child lists. Click a search result item for viewing its properties, and then click the lookup field in the view form to open the lookup item in the parent list.

For example:

Search “California” in Child List > Get item 1 (Name(Main List): Atilla ; State: California) > Click “Atilla” to open Item 1(Name: Atilla ; Description: DDD) in Main List.

Another workaround, combine child lists as a single web part, and use a filter web part to filter this web part. Then connect this web part with the parent list, send filed data from this web part to the parent list for filtering the parent list items.

Information about combining lists:

http://ignatiuz.com/blog/how-to-link-two-lists-and-create-a-combined-view-in-sharepoint-2013/

Information about connecting web parts in SharePoint:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-data-in-Web-Parts-54a36fda-019c-49b3-ad33-0cd94bf70c1e

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-a-Filter-Web-Part-to-a-List-View-Web-Part-4f3f6c10-0a1b-479d-8b4d-c4f1bf49bb3f

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, March 20, 2017 5:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Atilla87 Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Hi Atilla87,

Does the information help you do that?

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the reply help, please remember to mark it as an answer. The solution will benefit many other users.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi Linda,

thank you for your replies. Your idea of a workaround could be solution for me.

BR,

Atilla

• Edited by Atilla87 Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:37 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:37 AM