Deployment of package Microsoft.VCLibs.110_11.0.50522.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was blocked

Question

• error 0x80073CFB: AppX Deployment operation failed. The specific error text for this failure is: Deployment of package Microsoft.VCLibs.110_11.0.50522.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was blocked because the provided package has the same identity as an already-installed package but the contents are different. Increment the version number of the package to be installed, or remove the old package for every user on the system before installing this package.

How can that be?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:43 AM

Answers

• This has something to do with the target machine.  Normally the package will be deployed.  Ensure you first uninstall the existing app from the test machine.  If you have the problem again then as the error says "Check the AppXDeployment-Server event log for details." and see what it says.

You can run process monitor and see what it does.

Also try a new application that you have not deployed to the test machine before and see if you get the same behavior.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

• Marked as answer by Dino He Monday, July 09, 2012 10:33 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

• How are you including this package in your HTML app?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I don't. The packager does. It's not checked in "References", yet it is packaged. Interestingly it is packaged for bot x86 and x64 in each separate x64&x68 package.

Earlier versions of the Appverifier complained that there is no ref set to the runtime libs, but not anymore. So I did not bother to set the checkbox in the reference and after all, its working fine on development machines.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Does this happen for you with a brand new test app?  I can't imagine why the VC libs are being packaged for a Javascript only app.

Do you have a repro project you can email me?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:03 PM
  • No it happens with our mixed C++ WinRt component / WinJS project. And only since today morning.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Ah OK,

The key is this:  "has the same identity as an already-installed package but the contents are different"

Do a quick test of creating a new blank app with a C++ winmd component added to the solution.  See if that gives you the same error.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:11 PM
  • PS, you are not trying to build and deploy a Debug version are you?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:15 PM
  • No, a release version. Will try the blank app later the day.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:42 PM
  • OK, this is really weird.  A debug package will attempt to add the reference but that is not a valid scenario.  Release does not add VCLibs.  You could send me your project if you would like me to look at this and see if I can repro the problem here.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I have the same problem.

Filip Skakun

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Same issue as below i meet:

Installing developer package...
    Found dependency package(s):
    C:\Users\[USEER]\Desktop\[APP]\Dependencies\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86
    .11.appx
    C:\Users\[USEER]\Desktop\[APP]\Dependencies\x64\Microsoft.VCLibs.x64
    .11.appx
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFB, The provided package is already installed, and
    reinstallation of the package was blocked. Check the AppXDeployment-Server event log for details. (Exception from
    HRESULT: 0x80073CFB)
    Deployment of package Microsoft.VCLibs.110_11.0.50522.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was blocked because the provided package
    has the same identity as an already-installed package but the contents are different. Increment the version number of
    the package to be installed, or remove the old package for every user on the system before installing this package.

Steps

1. Package a release version of C# app with metro style which uses a WinRT component developed by myself using "Store->Create App Package"

2. Install this package on some testing machine, but failed -- Error message is as above.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:35 AM
  • This has something to do with the target machine.  Normally the package will be deployed.  Ensure you first uninstall the existing app from the test machine.  If you have the problem again then as the error says "Check the AppXDeployment-Server event log for details." and see what it says.

You can run process monitor and see what it does.

Also try a new application that you have not deployed to the test machine before and see if you get the same behavior.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

• Marked as answer by Dino He Monday, July 09, 2012 10:33 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Friday, July 06, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Was there ever any solutions to this?  We are experiencing the same error with a C# Metro app that references a C++ WinRT component.  This does not seem to be license validation issue.
    Monday, July 09, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Try deleting the "Dependencies" folder (or at least the VCLibs dependencies within the folder) in the Package Install folder - the one where you run the PowerShell command to install the app.

• Edited by kolosan Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:30 AM