Get ReleatedActivityID from ETW Events RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a ETW-trace from my application which contains events where RelatedActivityId or ChildActivityId are set.

The WPA-Application (WindowsPerformanceAnalyzer) shows the field correct,

but on the Message Analyser I could not found this field . On ETW=>EventRecord=>Header there is only the ActivityId.

Did I do something wrong or is this not supported yet?

Greetings

Gclpixel

• Edited by gclpixel Sunday, January 11, 2015 1:34 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:23 PM

Answers

• It should be supported in Message Analyzer 1.1.  Try this "Etw.ExtendedData[0].DataItem.RelatedActivityId"

I can't recall why, but this particular field is not visible to column chooser or intellisense.  I'll try to determine why and see if we can't fix that discovery issue.

Thanks,

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Monday, January 12, 2015 9:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by gclpixel Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:21 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 9:35 PM

All replies

• It should be supported in Message Analyzer 1.1.  Try this "Etw.ExtendedData[0].DataItem.RelatedActivityId"

I can't recall why, but this particular field is not visible to column chooser or intellisense.  I'll try to determine why and see if we can't fix that discovery issue.

Thanks,

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Monday, January 12, 2015 9:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by gclpixel Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:21 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for the statement,

it works for the filter and the view layout.

I have to edit the view layout in the file with this value 'ExtendedData[0].DataItem.RelatedActivityId' but it also works fine.

thanks,

gclpixel

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Hi another question,

It is possible to write a filter expression where I can filter a logical tree of event which are connected by the activity id and the related activity id values?

I want to write a filter where I can define the root activityid and all sub and subsub events are shown, and all events are invisible where the parent events don't have the given root activityid in their hierachy?

Greating

gclpixel

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:28 PM
  • Yes, though it's called a Sequence Expression in Message Analyzer, which is a pattern that matches across many different messages.  Where a filter is limited to matching one message.  And this is certainly an in depth topic that we can help you with.

Perhaps you can start a new thread, so we can track it separately.  Plus other users will search by the title, so it's helpful to help other users in the future.  In the new thread, describe the pattern you want to match, perhaps in terms of describing exactly how the pattern works, and then I can help define a sequence expression.

For more information about Sequence expressions, start here with these two links:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/messageanalyzer/archive/2013/08/23/sequence-match-view-identifying-interesting-network-patterns.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649788.aspx

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Will you fix the bug with visibility of the RelatedActivityID in a next version?

I see that it is still missing in the current new version 1.2.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:22 PM