none
Windows update kb4041678 break JET Database Engine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We know that Windows update  kb4041678 break JET Database Engine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4041681/windows-7-update-kb4041681

What's the ETA for fixing this regression?

We still have customers who are using JET DAO to connect Excel/Access.

Any workarounds for JET DAO? 

Thanks,

Mingyang

Friday, October 20, 2017 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi myouth,

The best recommended solution is to move to Microsoft ACE OLE DB provider.

Apart from this, Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release of the security patch. This is expected to be available in another 2-3 weeks or earlier.

If this is business critical and you are still encountering any related issues, please reach out to the Microsoft CSS team.

other then that you can try to remove the current update and move back to last working update.

Uninstall the security patch (Not recommended):

This patch seems to update Excel Jet connector from V4.00.9801.0 to v4.00.9801.1.

One of the workarounds is to uninstall the KB and it may fix the issue. Although, in some instances it may not help to resolve the issue.

you can also try to change the registry which is also not advisable.

Registry change (Not recommended):

Another workaround would be to update the below registry key to point to an old copy of the DLL file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\Win32]

To get an old copy of the DLL, uninstall the patch KB4041681, copy the DLL "msexcl40.dll" from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msexcl40.dll to a new location say "C:\\msexcl\\msexcl40.dll".

You can now modify the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\Win32] to point to the new DLL location "C:\\msexcl\\msexcl40.dll" (by default it’d be pointing to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msexcl40.dll)

Reference:

“Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)” after applying October security updates.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

October 10, 2017—KB4041678 (Security-only update)

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 7:23 AM
  • What version of Microsoft ACE OLE DB provider? We tried using it but didn't get the favorable result.
    Any date when the security patch will be made available to this issue? and the email-id of Microsoft CSS team.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi Ravi Thapliyal,

you had asked which version of OLEDB you can use.

if you visit the link I had provided in my previous post then you can see that OLEDB 12.0 is suggested in the link.

you said that you did not get favorable result.

I suggest you to create a new thread and provide a detailed steps to reproduce the issue and your desired output.

it is possible that your issue is different then the issue posted in this thread.

we will try to test the issue on our side and try to provide you suggestions.

we don't have any information regarding when new update with the solution will be launched.

other thing you had asked for the email id of Microsoft CSS Team.

if the issue is urgent for you then I suggest you to generate a ticket for the paid support.

Microsoft Support Engineer will closely work on your issue and try to solve your issue.

you can also try to remove the current update to avoid the issue and you can install the new update when it launched.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:03 AM
  • Issue persists in SQL Server 2017 with windows 10 version 1709. KB4049855 (Windows 10 V 1709) did not resolve issue either. I have tried downloading MS Access database engine 2016 redistributable in 32 bit and 64 bit and keep getting a circular that indicates cannot install because I either have 32 bit office or 64 bit office. I definitely have 32 bit office. Have uninstalled and reinstalled office 365 3 times trying to fix. Have spent hours on the forum and cannot find a resolution. The aforementioned KB4048955 which I try to download indicates it is not applicable to my computer. I definitely have Windows 10 V 1709. How does a person using the system for educational purposes receive help at no cost? Resolution to a problem of this magnitude should not cost the consumer and tech support should give us free help.

Gloria McManus

Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:52 AM