none
Craze .Net Framework 3.5 Redistributable Package file size 196m RRS feed

• Question

• I found a 196m file from MS download, the file size so craze.  We have so much computer to deploy program.  The .net framework 2.0 redistributable package is 22m. I don't know why 3.5 is 196m.  But the installation still connect internet to download .Net Framework 3.5.  Our company all client computer cannot able to connect internet.  How can I do. 

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:53 AM

Answers

• The .NET Framework 3.5 full install package includes all prerequisites and product components that could need to be installed for any processor architecture.  Basically, it is the union of the x86, x64 and ia64 packages and prerequisites.  The .NET Framework 3.5 includes the following prerequisites in addition to the main .NET Framework 3.5 product payload:

• .NET Framework 2.0 with SP1
    • .NET Framework 3.0 with SP1
    • MSXML 6.0
    • RGB Rasterizer
    • Windows Imaging Components (WIC)

The 200 megabyte full install package was not really designed to be redistributed as is by installers that require the .NET Framework, although it will work fine for that purpose if the installer does not have any sensitivity to the larger package size.

You can find more information and explanation at

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/01/10/7067719.aspx and http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1686637&SiteID=1

Thanks 

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:37 AM

All replies

• v3.5 includes v2.0 and all the new stuff.  Therefore it is really big (although why it is that big I can't say).  If you can't download the bootstrapper then you have no choice but to use the 197MB version.

Michael Taylor - 4/29/08

http://p3net.mvps.org

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:46 PM
  •  

But the 197MB version still need to connect internet to download 3.5 some file when I run it.  How microsoft to solve no connection for internet computer to install it?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:56 PM
  • The 197MB version shouldn't need INet access at all.  Does it fail if you don't have INet access?  What is it trying to install when it connects to the INet?

Michael Taylor - 4/29/08

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:02 PM
  • The .NET Framework 3.5 full install package includes all prerequisites and product components that could need to be installed for any processor architecture.  Basically, it is the union of the x86, x64 and ia64 packages and prerequisites.  The .NET Framework 3.5 includes the following prerequisites in addition to the main .NET Framework 3.5 product payload:

• .NET Framework 2.0 with SP1
    • .NET Framework 3.0 with SP1
    • MSXML 6.0
    • RGB Rasterizer
    • Windows Imaging Components (WIC)

The 200 megabyte full install package was not really designed to be redistributed as is by installers that require the .NET Framework, although it will work fine for that purpose if the installer does not have any sensitivity to the larger package size.

You can find more information and explanation at

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/01/10/7067719.aspx and http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1686637&SiteID=1

Thanks 

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:37 AM
  • I download the 196MB .NET Framework 3.5 full install package and when i try to install it on a computer without internet connection it l ask for a internet connection... i have tried to install it unplugged for the internet but it give me that it could not connect to the server.

Is there a way to instal .net framework 3.5 without internet connection
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:57 AM
  • The full 3.5 package install does not need any Internet connection.  What OS are you trying to install it on?  Have all recent Windows updates been applied to it?

Michael Taylor - 5/20/08

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:15 PM
  • I have the same problem. I'm using Windows XP SP2 and it asks for Internet connection during installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Hi
    I have the same problem. I explain you my OS:
    - Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
    - No web connection (intranet Server, out from Internet)
    I downloaded the full .net 3.5 installation package in order not to have problems with lackness of web connection, but when I install it on server it seems to have the same problem concerning the need to access Internet to connect and download something.
    Obviously I can't run Windows Update for the same reason.
    I think that if a user downloads full pack is just to avoid to use web connection, for will or for need...
    The amount lacking seems to be about 11 MB (the installation arrives to 52/63).
    It's not clear if after the 5 tries to connect to Internet, the installation program rolls back or it arrives to install something. In control panel I see .Net Framework 3.5 installed, but with an amount very low (about 20 MB), which compared to other Framework, like 1.1 or 2.0 seems inadequate.

If something should have some tricks to help me, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Bye
    Nino

PS: it seems that installing .Net Framework SP1 full package, it ends installation without getting error concerning connection, but I'm not sure that this could fix previous problem.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Hi

Has anyone ever answered this question?  We are encountering the same problem, where the .NET 3.5 SP1 "full" package still tries to download some stuff.  We have customers in remote parts of the world who have very slow internet, or no connection at all and we need to be able to deploy .NET without a connection.  We have tried installing the individual parts (.NET 2.0 SP2, .NET 3.0 SP1 and then 3.5), but unfortunately we have not been able to find a .NET 3.0 SP1 "full" package, so we run into the same problem.

Can anyone help with this?

Regards

Ian Johnson.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:50 AM
  • I also have the same problem. The full install package immediately tries 5 times to connect to the internet and when it fails, the entire setup fails. This basically makes the package unusable for anyone who deploys .NET applications on systems not connected to the Internet.

My product is electronic signage. My signs hang in public places and are not connected to the Internet. Upgrades are done through disk on key. The current situation is keeping me from moving my customers to newer technologies.

Microsoft! Do you have an answer?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 11:30 AM
  • Same problem here. The installation seems to work after the 5 failures to connect to the internet, but the installation is not good.

Gonna try to install all the redist separatly.

Ce qui fonctionne ne peut qu'arrêter de fonctionner...
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:47 PM