none
How to assign a logical name to plug and play pos printer using Microsoft for .net c1.14 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am getting the error 

Value cannot be null.Parameter name: device under this code 

deviceInfo = posExplorer.GetDevice(DeviceType.PosPrinter, "Generic /Text only")
            m_Printer = posExplorer.CreateInstance(deviceInfo)

I have installed C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Point Of Service and using posdm.exe i can only see epson printers 

service object devices when i run posdm listdevices /type: posprinter

I have a epos  tep-220 mc thermal printer installed under windows 7 and can print test page

how do get the printer EPOS TEP-220 recognized by POSDM  as one of the pos printer .

Can one use Posdm with plug and play printer or Generic /Text only.

Thanks

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Kathara,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, I find a reference you may need.

Microsoft Point of Service won't detect printer

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Please contact the manufacturer of the EPOS TEP-220MC printer.
    Is OPOS or POS for.NET Control Provided for the Printer?

--------------------

For your question, the answer I wrote for Stack Overflow is more appropriate.
    https://stackoverflow.com/a/47584562/9014308

I will post it here again.

To handle devices with POS for.NET, you need a software component called a service object. It needs to be made according to the interface specification of POS for.NET or OPOS. This will be different from the standard Windows Device Driver. And on printers, service objects are often exclusively used with Windows Device Driver.

Please refer to this site. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb429017(v=winembedded.4).aspx

Service objects are usually provided by the hardware vendor. Since only Windows Device Driver is released to the site of the printer vendor that you are asking, it is thought that the printer can not be used from POS for.NET.

If you use that printer, please control it through the Windows standard print API.

If you want to print from POS for.NET, switch to the printer of the vendor that provides the service object.

• Edited by Kunif3 Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:20 PM