none
Unable to fix or install .NET Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried every fix out there and I am posting in many forums looking for help.  I was directed from someone in another forum to this one and followed the following suggestion posted here:

Please follow these steps exactly.

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Collect your full install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

If anyone can help I am really really in a bind as I need this .NET framework to run my accounting software.

I have done this, it failed and I have my logs uploaded here (at least I think I have done this part correctly):

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtGvkAzb_klyatbHi8BWS-zR45A

Monday, August 29, 2016 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi DarleenL,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have checked your log file and found the following error message:

>> Error 997. Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Please have a look at this: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsnetsetup/2014/10/27/error-997-overlapped-io-operation-is-in-progress-kb2918614-breaks-windows-installer-service/ and try with the following:

1. Download the Hotfix from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=3000988&kbln=en-us to fix it, then try to run the installer again

2. Renaming C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_old

3. Confirm the administrator is the ownership and full control on the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 folder, if not, took ownership and re-applied permissions as full control on this.

4. Windows update is up-to-date, after that, search for KB2918614/ KB3072630/KB3000988/KB3008627 and once it is found, remove it and restart the computer.

5. Before modifying the registry table, please backup it.

• Enable Whitelisting: Under Key “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer”, create a DWORD: “SecureRepairPolicy” and set its Value to 2.
    • Add the application to the whitelist: Create a new key “SecureRepairWhitelist” under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer” and create StringValues with the product codes (Including flower brackets {}) of the product.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Sara,

You had me up until step 5.  I am in no way a programmer, so I have absolutely no idea how to do those things.  Any chance you can dumb it down for me?  Dumb it way down.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Hi DarleenL,

Thank you for your update.

After you completed step1-4, have you try to install or repair the .NET Framework? If not, please re-run the .NET Framework 4.0 installer as administrator.

If you still meet the same issue, please upload and share the latest installation log as you did before.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Yes, after following steps 1-4 installation still failed.  I have run another set of logs.  They can be found here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGvkAzb_klybPw_ImmCg8elvhc

Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hi DarleenL,

According to the following error message:

>>Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).

I found a smiliar issue here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/3cc78f3c-d782-4f90-9035-1b6675890af7/error-installing-net-40-framework-on-windows-7-ultimate-x64?forum=netfxsetup

irarab:

I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, September 2, 2016 8:02 AM