WWF 4.0 Dynamic Workflows. RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the design phase of one life science project in Microsoft platform(.Net 4.0). We are using Silverlight,MVVM ,WWF 3.5,WCF Rias services and Entity Framework.

We are expecting lot of flexibility in the workflows considering its dynamic aspects. It can include adding or removing the states/activities to the workflow and also having dynamic selection of states at run time. We need to take a decision at this point that whether we need to opt WWF 4.0 considering the dynamic workflow capabilities, development effort, performance  etc.

Let me list down some of the main scenarios we are significantly looking

1.           We have a experiment with 3 instances running and user wanted to have configurable states/activities for each instances.

E.g.    Instance 1 – State 1, 2 and 3.

Instance 2 – State 1, 3.

Instance 3 – State 1 and 2.

Is this technically feasible thinking on workflow front  and if feasible what all are the possible implementation options.

2.         For dynamic type of workflows (adding and removal of states/activities at run time), is WWF 4.0 is good option? What all are the advantages of using 4.0?

3.       What all are the development effort for the migration of 3.5 to 4.0 and vice versa. Can we have the workflows created in one version readily executable in other version?

Monday, January 3, 2011 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use both WF3/3.5 and WF4 in .net 4.0 platform. Since WF4 is a break change from WF3. you can not use WF4 workflow in WF3. you are able to call WF3 workflow in WF4.

WF4 is faster and easier to use, but it is not easy to do dynamic updating and versioning. WF3/3.5 is good at dyanmic updating and versioning but a little slower than WF4 and would need more time to learn.

My suggestion is using WF3 if your workflow will be used by a few people.

Regards
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Monday, January 10, 2011 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:29 AM

All replies

• Dynamic update of workflows was not included as a feature of WF 4.0; it was included in WF 3.5, and will be included in a future release.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Hi,

You can use both WF3/3.5 and WF4 in .net 4.0 platform. Since WF4 is a break change from WF3. you can not use WF4 workflow in WF3. you are able to call WF3 workflow in WF4.

WF4 is faster and easier to use, but it is not easy to do dynamic updating and versioning. WF3/3.5 is good at dyanmic updating and versioning but a little slower than WF4 and would need more time to learn.

My suggestion is using WF3 if your workflow will be used by a few people.

Regards
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Monday, January 10, 2011 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:29 AM