iPhone is not recognized on Windows Developer Preview

Answers

All replies

• Have you installed iTunes on Windows Developer Preview?
    What is the error message you get when you connect the iPhone?

Please provide more information for you to be better able to address your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Should Microsoft really care that an iPhone - made by those snobbish other guys - is recognized by the alpha version of their new system?  It seems to me that this is not at all the purpose of the Developer Preview release.  Whether they make everything "just work" together in the final release remains to be seen, but I just don't see this as a problem.  You're not actually trying to USE the Developer Preview as your main operating system, are you?

Is your iPhone jailbroken to where it would be expected to appear as a USB device?  I noticed that I can see mine as a USB drive on my Windows 7 system but not on Windows 8.  This does not surprise me.  All the drivers simply aren't integrated into it yet.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:34 PM
  •  > Is you iPhone jailbroken to where it would be expected to appear as a
     > USB device?

fwiw, iPhones appear as a USB device, they don't need to be jailbroken.
    (at least since iOS4, I didn't own one before that)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi Jeeves,

I think the info in the following two links will help you:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/e1654d37-e232-4797-b146-2313d1ba6924 (refer to Marilyn's reply in that thread that is highlighted in green)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538 (provides generic troubleshooting guidance for the iPhone on Windows)

Thanks,
    Mark

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:14 PM
  • fwiw, iPhones appear as a USB device, they don't need to be jailbroken.
    (at least since iOS4, I didn't own one before that)

Thanks for that info - I stand corrected.  The one I have I inherited from my son when his ATT contract expired and he moved over to an Android model, so I've not plugged one in that wasn't jailbroken.  I just assumed it was his jailbreaking that gave me easy access to files without having to install iTunes.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:02 PM