none
TFS - Update WIT field via Web service RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the rundown:

We have a serial number field that we want to use. When the serial number is entered into that field, we want the next field to tell us if the machine is online. So the webservice currently returns True or False.

So I have this web service ready xxxxx/TFSDataService.svc

I am trying to get the WIT field to update with either 'True' or 'False' according to the state of the value in the web service.

Essentially the submitter would put in the number for the machine as part of the Issue info then submit it. The reviewer would later see the number and the field next to it would have populated in the meantime by the webservice. The wait time for this to populate is not an issue.

When the serial number is entered, we can see if the machine is on or not in another system. So, by adding the serial number to the issue ticket, we would like it to update the other field with the True/False information according to the state of the machine, and not the contents of the serial number

Not sure how to get this to work.

Friday, October 4, 2013 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi BossHogg20,

According to your post, you've finished the WCF service's implementation and is going to consume the service at client-side, correct?

If so, what kind of application are you going to build as the service client? Is it a winform, WPF or console app or other kind of application/components? As long as the client-side is .NET based, you can use visual studio "Add ServiceReference" or the svcutil.exe tool to generate the client proxy for accessing the WCF service.

#Walkthrough: Creating and Accessing WCF Services
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386386.aspx

#Add Service Reference Dialog Box
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386382.aspx

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Yes, the service, xxxxx/TFSDataService.svc, has already been created.

Now I am trying to connect this to our TFS setup to obtain the information indicated above for our developers to see this information.

So, if I use #Walkthrough: Creating and Accessing WCF Services and create the client application, then how do I tie this into the TFS work items?

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:11 PM