none
USB/portable disks Auditing RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir/Madam,

Hope to find you in great spirit!  I am currently a University student conducting an I.T. Security project. I would like to have some information on a Local Area Network I am creating in this project.

Basically the project consists of a company having 150 PCs connected to a server which in turn the LAN will be connected to another LAN in another country.  The client PCs will be running Microsoft XP
    professional as an operating system and all I would like to know to finish off my project is if it is possible for the IT staff to monitor on a daily basis each PC in regards to security reasons?

I would like to know if the audit can reassure and thoroughly monitor the connection of any USB disks or any other portabile disks brought in by the employees on each of these 150 PCs and the transfering of
    the files/folders and in case what files/folders including times can be monitored by alerts if possible or do the I.T. staff need to enter manually by specific coded SQL coding?

Thanks in advance for your time and contribution towards my project.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:34 AM

Answers

• Network Monitor is a tool that allows you to monitor network traffic and perform protocol analysis.  This only inlcudes network traffic and not USB or other system/disk devices.  So I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question.  While you can use Network Monitor to look for virus and security issues, it's used to find a problem after the fact as opposed to preventing it before it happens.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:14 PM

All replies

• Network Monitor is a tool that allows you to monitor network traffic and perform protocol analysis.  This only inlcudes network traffic and not USB or other system/disk devices.  So I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question.  While you can use Network Monitor to look for virus and security issues, it's used to find a problem after the fact as opposed to preventing it before it happens.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:14 PM
  • for USB traffic please install Wireshark that has an option to select USB traffic discovering

RaSa

• Proposed as answer by Syed_Rabbani Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:48 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:48 AM