attribute changed from free-form to domain-based, issues with deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using SQL Server 2014.

Assume an entity Product with a free-form attribute Active. The model containing this entity is available in two environments: DEV and QA.

In DEV: a new entity Boolean is created and the attribute Active is changed from free-form to domain-based (on entity Boolean) through the Excel Add-in. 

Next, this change has to be deployed (deployupdate with MDSModelDeploy) to the QA environment. There are no errors during deployment, however, the attribute remains free-form in QA.

Dropping the business rules on the Product entity in QA before deployment does not help.

How can I make this work?

Thanks,

Ojke.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi

It is a bit hard to tell what was going on without log. Can you check if the package contains the change you want to deploy, and if the new entity "Boolean" was deployed into DEV. Also, you can follow the following article to turn on the verbose trace, and check what has been deployed in DEV?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jason_howell/2012/09/13/enabling-logging-to-troubleshoot-mdsmodeldeploy-exe/

Thanks

Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hi Ed,

No, We didn't manage finding a solution to the problem.

Our workaround was:

• rename field Product.Active in QA to Product.Active_old.
    • deploy new package to QA. This creates the domain based Product.Active field. As deploying doesn't deleted attributes Product.Active_old remains available.
    • copy values from Product.Active_old to Product.Active.
    • publish data to MDS with an annotation.

KR,

Ojke.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

It is a bit hard to tell what was going on without log. Can you check if the package contains the change you want to deploy, and if the new entity "Boolean" was deployed into DEV. Also, you can follow the following article to turn on the verbose trace, and check what has been deployed in DEV?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jason_howell/2012/09/13/enabling-logging-to-troubleshoot-mdsmodeldeploy-exe/

Thanks

Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your response.

* The packages contains the change I want to deploy. The entity Boolean was deployed, the change to domain-based for the attribute Active not.

* I have tried activating the verbose trace, without success. Maybe because it's SQL2014?

* But just to be sure, I receive no error when deploying. To MDS the deployment was successful.

* I also tried deleting the entire model on QA in order to perform a new deployclone. And yes,
    after the deployclone, the new model on QA contains the domain-based attribute.
    It is however, not an option the delete the model every time an update is needed..

<o:p>KR,</o:p>

<o:p>Ojke.</o:p>

Monday, May 9, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Ojke, have you made any progress with this issue?
    Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Our workaround was:

• deploy new package to QA. This creates the domain based Product.Active field. As deploying doesn't deleted attributes Product.Active_old remains available.

KR,

Ojke.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Our workaround was:

KR,

Ojke.

Could this be a bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:16 PM