none
What is the difference in the kinect for xbox and kinect for windows?? my kinect is for xbox360 .why is not work with sdk 1.6? thanks! RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference in the kinect for xbox and kinect for windows?? my kinect is for xbox360 .why is not work with sdk 1.6?

thanks!

vc815

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:05 PM

All replies

• From the FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

What's the difference between the Kinect for Windows sensor and the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor?

The Kinect for Windows sensor is a fully-tested and supported Kinect experience on Windows with features such as “near mode,” skeletal tracking control, API improvements, and improved USB support across a range of Windows computers and Windows-specific 10’ acoustic models.

The sensor was specifically designed to be used with computers, and includes a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers. Kinect for Xbox 360 was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Kinect for Xbox 360, on the other hand, was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Microsoft has a large team of engineers that is dedicated to continual improvements of the hardware and software associated with Kinect for Windows, and is committed to providing ongoing access to Microsoft's deep investment in human tracking and speech recognition.

Can I use the Kinect for Windows SDK with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend the use of  Kinect for Xbox 360 in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware.

• Proposed as answer by Abhijit Jana Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:01 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:18 AM
  • thanks !

but why my kinect with sdk 1.6  is not  work ??

vc815

• Proposed as answer by skerefeyn Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by skerefeyn Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:24 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:47 AM
  • If your Kinect for Xbox was part of a Xbox bundle (came with a console) you'll need an additional power adapter. You can find one on amazon. Just type "kinect power adapter" in the search box - it cost around $8

If you purchase the Kinect sensor separately from a Xbox - the sensor is sold with this power adapter already.

• Proposed as answer by skerefeyn Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:29 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:28 PM
  • If your Kinect for Xbox was part of a Xbox bundle (came with a console) you'll need an additional power adapter. You can find one on amazon. Just type "kinect power adapter" in the search box - it cost around $8

If you purchase the Kinect sensor separately from a Xbox - the sensor is sold with this power adapter already.

yes  i  have already a  power adapter yet!

it is  No problem with kinect  and power adapter. and  the kinect is work  led is flash .

but  the app only not work !  say  "kinect  not ready" !   by the way  the drives is ok !!

plug in

plug in

plug in

plug in

plug in

vc815

Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:02 AM
  • Hello

Did you open the Kinect Studio and try with the Examples which Microsoft provided?

May be I should ask you a question even before we giving answers?

Do you see the Kinect Studio in your Windows Menu? If so, there were so many examples in it and probably you should run one of those to see if your kinect is working with those examples. Please confirm.

If you have already tested with it, I mean if those examples are giving you a message as "Kinect is not connected!" then, certainly you have to have a clean Uninstall of previous Beta Versions and have to have a fresh and clean install of Kinect V1.6 sdk. Please try out. I have seen many articles in internet, that few restarts of the machine works for them. But do give us more inputs from your end with the steps which you followed to install the V1.6 sdk. even before installing v1.6 sdk, pls uninstall the previous versions (clean) and try to re-install of v1.6 sdk.

I know my answer may not solve your issue, but just try out the above steps and do let us know your inputs.

Srinivasa Nadella

Monday, January 21, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hello

Did you open the Kinect Studio and try with the Examples which Microsoft provided?

May be I should ask you a question even before we giving answers?

Do you see the Kinect Studio in your Windows Menu? If so, there were so many examples in it and probably you should run one of those to see if your kinect is working with those examples. Please confirm.

If you have already tested with it, I mean if those examples are giving you a message as "Kinect is not connected!" then, certainly you have to have a clean Uninstall of previous Beta Versions and have to have a fresh and clean install of Kinect V1.6 sdk. Please try out. I have seen many articles in internet, that few restarts of the machine works for them. But do give us more inputs from your end with the steps which you followed toC. even before installing v1.6 sdk, pls uninstall the previous versions (clean) and try to re-install of v1.6 sdk.

I know my answer may not solve your issue, but just try out the above steps and do let us know your inputs.

Srinivasa Nadella

ok  i do indeed  restarts of the machine many times  and   restarts of the machine  many times  

i have  try  many times and any Method;   and  i  do indeed run all  examples  in kinect  tooltks .  that say "kinect not ready "this  all  not  work!

by the  way  i  have rey sdk 1.5  ,that also not work and  the same Problem

i am Crazy!!!!

vc815

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:18 PM