64 bit Win7 to 32 bit XP Conversion RRS feed

• Question

• I am rebuilding a working 64 bit project on Win 7 to on to XP 32 bit with VS2010. It has a problem of course. In compiling I receive an error message to the effect that MSCORELIB in for a different processor. Taking a look at it, I do see where the core is pointing to a 3.5 library and dont know why. With Vs2010 I have done a "Clean" but that has made no difference.

It may be calling different libraries because the functions that exist in the code. Obviously some of the code is still calling 64 bit code....but what?

HELP...

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:12 PM

Answers

• Of course I was and the problem is now fixed. I think it was a .resx or designer.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

• Marked as answer by Renee Culver Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:56 PM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• "

64-bit Applications 

.NET Framework 2.0
    16 out of 27 rated this helpful Rate this topic

Beginning in Visual Studio 2005 you can compile your application and specify that it should run on a 64-bit operating system either as a native application or under WOW64. WOW64 is a compatibility environment provided by the operating system that allows a 32-bit application to run on a Windows 64-bit operating system.

Remarks

All applications built with the 1.0 and 1.1 releases of the .NET Framework are treated as 32-bit applications and are always executed under WOW64 on the 32-bit common language runtime (CLR) on a 64-bit operating system. In addition, 32-bit specific applications built with version 2.0 of the .NET Framework would run under WOW64 on 64-bit platforms."

What does the last sentence mean?

Renee

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:37 PM
  • I bet I know whats happening.....form1.resx must have a 64 bit designation or form1.designer has it....

Renee

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:45 PM
  • "

64-bit Applications 

.NET Framework 2.0
    16 out of 27 rated this helpful Rate this topic

Beginning in Visual Studio 2005 you can compile your application and specify that it should run on a 64-bit operating system either as a native application or under WOW64. WOW64 is a compatibility environment provided by the operating system that allows a 32-bit application to run on a Windows 64-bit operating system.

Remarks

All applications built with the 1.0 and 1.1 releases of the .NET Framework are treated as 32-bit applications and are always executed under WOW64 on the 32-bit common language runtime (CLR) on a 64-bit operating system. In addition, 32-bit specific applications built with version 2.0 of the .NET Framework would run under WOW64 on 64-bit platforms."

What does the last sentence mean?

Renee

Are you setting the Target CPU on the Compile Tab of the project properties page to x86? You must do this to run on 32 bit. Then the application runs as a 32 bit application on 64 bit systems. The WOW64 is some kind of, not sure the right word, interpreter for the code to run on 64 bit. It is an .exe? in one of the system folders on 64 bit.

You also need to be sure to set the proper .net framework. ie .net 4 may not be available on the XP system.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Hi Renee, Any updates?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Of course I was and the problem is now fixed. I think it was a .resx or designer.

Renee

• Marked as answer by Renee Culver Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:56 PM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:56 PM