Blend performances issues when large amount of resources + sorting on dictionariesf RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're actually working on a quite large Silverlight project, using MVVM. For plasticity reasons, we decided to realize a "pure" MVVM, without using UserControls, but only DataTemplates to fit our viewmodels. 

So, we have almost 320 resources dictionnaries in our project, and 800 + various resources ( mainly datatemplates and strings ) in our project.

But now, Blend is freaking slow everytime I've to deal with resources : Adding a new one, removing a resource, or renaming one of them. It may frezze during 30 s - 1 min on a very powerful laptop.

Is this a know issue ? Is there a way to solve this problem ?

Otherwise, just a suggestion : Our 320 dictionaries are stack in the resource tab without any searching, sorting or grouping feature. So it may take a while to  find a dictionary amongst them :)

Thank you,

Roland Tomczak

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:28 AM

All replies

• no ideas ? :,(
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:56 PM
  • This is an old problem, and you're not going to like the solution: instead of having 320 nice, organized resource dictionaries, you're going to need to knock them down to a bare handful that contain everything (for my project I broke them out as ColorsAndBrushes, StylesAndTemplates, Images, and of course Skin).

Yes it's obnoxious and borderline unmanageable (my StylesAndTemplates file alone has 24k lines in it) but you'll see a massive performance increase in Blend.

Leon Terry www.TFKLabs.com
    • Proposed as answer by VLTII Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Erg.. Exactly what I didn't want to hear :) Thanks for the advice, I'll try this and make a feedback.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:36 PM