DataSet in Silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• I would also like to see a DataSet object in Silverlight.  It appears to me to be an efficient and compact way to implement the Silverlight - WCF - LINQ chain.  We could pull the data out of Sql Server with LINQ to DataSets, send the DataSet over WCF to Silverlight which would then databind it to the controls.   Then we could DiffGram back the changes over WCF to LINQ to SQL Server.  In addition to be compact, this approach offers the advantage of off-line client editing. 

I am not a database expert and therefore must ask, is this a reasonable scenario?  I have seen another approach described at the Swiss MSDN site (http://blogs.msdn.com/swiss_dpe_team/archive/2008/04/11/crud-using-silverlight-2-beta1-wcf-and-linq-to-sql-part2.aspx).   This approach requires manual comparision of the client "before" and "after" controls data.

Friday, May 2, 2008 2:48 AM

Answers

• I too had the same issue - looking for a dataset object. But after trying LINQ using the List (of operator, you really don't need a dataset/datatable object. Now I guess I wouldn't use them even if they were made available. The only problem is generating the classes and then using them with LINQ. Wonder when Jasper will come out and whether it will solve the problem of writing classes at design time.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:06 PM

All replies

• I too had the same issue - looking for a dataset object. But after trying LINQ using the List (of operator, you really don't need a dataset/datatable object. Now I guess I wouldn't use them even if they were made available. The only problem is generating the classes and then using them with LINQ. Wonder when Jasper will come out and whether it will solve the problem of writing classes at design time.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Yes, we cannot build our application with SilverLight, because we use DataSet for sending and getting data in our Windows App.  If we want to use other things than DataSet, we need to rewrite the entire application, and use different server code for SilverLight.  If we could use the DataSet in SilverLight we would not need any of these. 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:29 PM