Other mesh file formats (both design-time and runtime)

Question

• I've been reading through 'Adding visual content' (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441488(v=vs.110).aspx#loadmeshes) and got to this section:

Important note           Important        

Marble Maze uses the SDK-Mesh format and provides the SDKMesh class for illustration only. Although the SDK-Mesh format is useful for learning, and for creating prototypes, it is a very basic format that might not meet the requirements of most game development. We recommend that you use a mesh format that meets the specific requirements of your game.

There's practically no documentation for what SDKMesh does and doesn't support.  What are some other recommended runtime mesh formats if SDK mesh is not ideal? Ideally I'd like to use COLLADA as a design time format, but I'm not too clear on how to make an importer for a skinned model with animation.  Does anyone know of one that exists? 

What are you using your 3D game?  Tips appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

kanno41 :)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Common format like .obj, .dae, .x (old DX model). Different format for different purpose. You'd better define your own.

C++ DX11

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:51 AM
  • It just seems like I'm reinventing something that's already been done many times before.  Since I'm going to end up writing my own format now, are there any tips for making it as efficient as possible?

It'd be cool to learn from other people's mistakes.

kanno41 :)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:21 PM
  • There is a .MESH runtime format supported by VS 2012 itself, but it's pretty basic and doesn't support skinning.

For details on SDKMESH, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/04/25/samples-content-exporter-update.aspx

This is an area we are hoping to address with DirectXTK, but the mesh support is still in the planning stages.

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Sorry, but any info on how I can do that(write my own format) would be greatly appreciated. Kind of running out of time :(

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:37 AM
  • .SDKMESH is exactly that... an example of how to write a format for geometry data. MarbleMaze has code to render it. The link I gave above has a tool for exporting an .SDKMESH from an Autodesk FBX file.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:09 AM