none
COA Sticker confusion question. RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to tell what OS you are actually licensed for with a yellow "X20-88075"

Is there some magic we can do with the serial number to tell us if this is supposed to be WS7E, WS7P or WES8 ?

I have a pile of boxes and not being able to tell easily means I won't know if I am breaking the rules.

=^x^=

Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:11 AM

Answers

• Yes, this is really a dilemma. I got following information from our disributor:

As stated by Sean, MS changed the contents on the (thumbnail) sticker so that all of them are yellow/orange and having only "Windows Embedded Standard" as the product description. As long as you have a strip of stickers you find see the MS part number (e.g. 7WT-0049) at the backside of the carrier - I already have seen that.

But once it has been sticked to a device, the only way to "identify" the product is the serial number (located between "Windows Embedded Standard" and the X-Number (which is the MS part number of the sticker itselfs). The serial number of the strip matches the ones that are printed on the envelope that was delivered to you. Unfortunately it seems that there is no other way to track the S/N back to the product it belongs to.

In easy words: You have to be very careful once you have picked some stickers from your stock in order to prevent that the wrong sticker is attached to the device.

Friday, June 23, 2017 10:49 AM

All replies

• I remember that the stickers had the name of the product, but I see some stickers just say Windows Embedded Standard.

Maybe this might help: http://www.msembedded.biz/en/licensing/license-sticker/

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Yes, this is really a dilemma. I got following information from our disributor:

As stated by Sean, MS changed the contents on the (thumbnail) sticker so that all of them are yellow/orange and having only "Windows Embedded Standard" as the product description. As long as you have a strip of stickers you find see the MS part number (e.g. 7WT-0049) at the backside of the carrier - I already have seen that.

But once it has been sticked to a device, the only way to "identify" the product is the serial number (located between "Windows Embedded Standard" and the X-Number (which is the MS part number of the sticker itselfs). The serial number of the strip matches the ones that are printed on the envelope that was delivered to you. Unfortunately it seems that there is no other way to track the S/N back to the product it belongs to.

In easy words: You have to be very careful once you have picked some stickers from your stock in order to prevent that the wrong sticker is attached to the device.

Friday, June 23, 2017 10:49 AM
  • Thank you for the enlightenment.

In short, the only person that knows might be microsoft.

Or, since they make it impossible for me to tell whether $box should be WS7E and *NOT* P, I shouldn't worry about it. ^^;

Great, really *great*.

=^x^=

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:07 AM