none
How can I specify the start address of a file ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm using IMAPI v2 and have some questions.

1. Is it possible to specify the start LBA of a single file ?

For example, I want to specify the start LBA of a file to be LBA 0x1000.

2. If I can specify the start addresses of two files and there is a gap between these 2 files, will IMAPI v2 perform zero padding automatically?

3. If no, how could I do zero padding by myself?

And what interface/method should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Minway,

Unfortunately, IMAPI v2 does not provide for manual setting of the start LBAs for files.

As of now, we do not have plans to implement such functionality in the future, either.

With regards,

Grigory.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Minway,

Unfortunately, IMAPI v2 does not provide for manual setting of the start LBAs for files.

As of now, we do not have plans to implement such functionality in the future, either.

With regards,

Grigory.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:14 PM
  • Dear Minway,

Could you explain what goal you are trying to achieve by setting specific start LBAs? Are you aiming at compliance with some specification in particular?

David Burg.

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Dear David,

I'm just wondering how to write a file onto a disc w/o any file system and then read it back at the specified LBA for some tests.

Do you have any idea how I can do that via IMAPI v2?

BTW, if I'd like to burn a DVD-Video folder from HDD onto a disc, will IMAPI v2 treat it as a generic data burning or not?

If not, what's the difference?

Thanks.

Minway

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:43 AM
  • You could write a file onto an optical disc w/o any filesystem by creating a IStream out of the file then feeding it to the data writer, just like you would write an .iso file (discussed in other thread of this forum I believe). To read it back you would then need to open a handle on the cdrom device and read straigth from it (the handle to the device acts like a file handle where the beginning of the file is the beginning of the disc).

You can burn a DVD-Video folder from HDD onto a disc using Windows Explorer and drag'b'drop the folder to the optical media (select mastering in the advanced option of the prepare media dialog). However this will work only for non-copy protected DVD-Video. IMAPIv2 will treat it as generic data.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:40 AM