none
Multiple Domains with the same IP for each- Only Able to Access One Using Expressions 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to edit 3 different websites that are located on the same server and with the same IP address. Unfortunately, I am only able to access one of the websites. When I try to go to log into the 2nd website, using the same IP address, Expressions 4 opens automatically opens up the 1st domain and all its files. I'm not able to access the files by using the http domain name either, using Expressions 4. It appears the websites do not have the necessary extensions that will allow access with Expressions 4.  

Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I did try to remove the ftp info from the login memory but when I add the IP address as a new site, it brings up the 1st domain files.

Is there a way to extract ALL memory of the 1st domain from Expressions 4 so I can then get to a login place to add screen name and password?

• Edited by BDSHOMES Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:04 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:02 AM

All replies

• If you have three different websites, you need three different FTP accounts, each pointing to the correct site.   Typically, each domain has an FTP address by its name, not the shared IP.  Is there any reason yours aren't set up that way?

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:34 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:22 AM
  • Actually, Kathy, that is exactly the way that Arvixe sites are set up. You have one FTP address, and you specify the site you're logging into in the "Directory" field in EW's "Publishing Settings" dialog.

So, let's say your FTP address is "ftp://mydomain.com:21," and you have domains "foo.com," "bar.com" and "snafu.com." You would enter "ftp://mydomain.com:21" into the "Location" field, then, for "foo.com," you would enter "foo.com/wwwroot" into the "Directory" field. For "bar.com," you set up another publishing destination from that site's root, using the same FTP address, but with "bar.com/wwwroot" in the "Directory" field.

In other words, you would have three separate sites set up in EW, each with the same FTP address, and with a different folder specified in the "Directory" field. Technically, since EW4 supports multiple Publishing Destinations per site, I suppose you could have the files for all three in one defined site, then create multiple publishing destinations for that site and choose which one you were publishing to after editing, but that, to me, would seem to be an administrative nightmare, and you would lose the handy "Publish Changed Files to..." feature.

At Arvixe, even if you log into your control panel, each of your domains is displayed as a folder in the main interface, and the "wwwroot" folder beneath that folder is the server site root for that domain. Yes, I know; it seems weird at first, and I hadn't encountered this kind of structure before, either, until I signed up with Arvixe. Now, however, I take it for granted, and it works just fine.

To the OP, I don't know how your sites are set up at your hosting provider, but it's not surprising that you get the same files when you enter the same FTP address. I suspect that you have a setup similar to mine, and you need to specify which domain you're trying to access by an entry into the "Directory" field. You are going to have to call your provider's tech support and ask them how to differentiate between your domains when setting up your publishing client. It may not be folders—it could be something even more bizarre, like different port numbers or something, but whatever it is you will have to ask them; we don't know and can't guess. If you wish, refer them to this thread, which may help clarify the issue for them and help them to answer your question. Good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:41 AM
  • Are you trying to work on your sites live? Because that is a bad idea ---

My sites are set up as Scott has described, similar to yours I think.

I use Arvixe  and I happen to use CuteFTP for connection with just the address:

myservername.arvixe.com

Upon connecting I see all of my websites listed, and clicking on any one of them shows their files. I am not certain of this, but the server may be set up that way because I think they are actually using SQLServerExpress, which may also be why their prices are so low.  Up to 6 independent websites for $4 or $5 per month with unlimited MSSQL databases -- perfect for asp.net hosting

So -- I would think you could be working on one of your websites locally, then ftp to your server and see your websites there, and be able to get to the one you need. Similar to what Scott said.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

• Edited by ClarkNK Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:01 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:00 PM
  • I have two Arvixe accounts for clients, and they are not set up that way when there are multiple sites in the account. I can create FTP accounts that go directly to the root of each site, with the domain name in the FTP address (e.g. ftp://sitename.com).   (These are VPS accounts, so perhaps that is why it's different? Or do you have that ability and not know about it?)   But even on another host, with a shared hosting account, I can create multiple FTP accounts for the same site into different directories (the root directory for one, the store directory under the root for another) and EW will understand two different publishing connections for the same site.

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:11 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Clark,

No, the database server has nothing to do with the FTP server.  SQL Express doesn't determine how an FTP account is set up.  Both the VPS accounts I have at Arvixe run SQL Server Express databases.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:54 PM
  • I have two Arvixe accounts for clients, and they are not set up that way when there are multiple sites in the account. I can create FTP accounts that go directly to the root of each site, with the domain name in the FTP address (e.g. ftp://sitename.com).   (These are VPS accounts, so perhaps that is why it's different? Or do you have that ability and not know about it?)   But even on another host, with a shared hosting account, I can create multiple FTP accounts for the same site into different directories (the root directory for one, the store directory under the root for another) and EW will understand two different publishing connections for the same site.

Yeah, come to think of it, I suppose that you can set up an FTP account for each domain. I just did it the way I described above when I first transferred to Arvixe, because it was quick and easy to just point to the remote site root using the Directory field, and it accomplishes exactly the same purpose. [Update: Yes, you can—I just did it. But, frankly, the process took longer, and is no more effective than simply using the Directory field, so that I will continue to do it my way.]

OTOH, that it can be done these three different ways—Clark's, mine, and yours—for the very same hosting provider, illustrates how variable the process of connecting via FTP can be, and how difficult it is to try to troubleshoot someone else's issues connecting when we don't know anything about their provider or their expectations for the standard connection settings.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:36 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Kathy, not sure..this is my first attempt at editing the websites a friend of mine owns. I usually only edit my own sites, which are all located in separate ftp files under 1 Godaddy unlimited sites, hosting plan. The guy who built the sites has them on his server and uses a Mac and Real to edit with.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Scott, thanks for the detailed reply..I tried to load the sites using the domain addresses, but there are no extensions set up in the sites that will allow me to enter them that way. I may have to purchase a different FTP manager for each site I edit..or ask the sites host builder to add extensions that will allow access via the domain addresses..

The Arvixe access scenario you describe is what I have with my hosting plan that my 11 domains are parked on. SO when I load the root file for the hosting, all the domain files are accessable in a list.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:24 PM
  • Clark, thanks for the reply and info..since the files for the sites are not on my hard drive, I'm trying to access them for the first time via Expressions 4 as to download them to my hard drive so I have the option to edit them non live. I will check out Arvixe but am curious if you use Expressions 4 and know if there is a way to extract the memory/association inside Expressions 4 regarding the 1st website I edited, so I can move on to the next site under within the IP address?
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:31 PM
  • If the sites have files in different folders (which they must), you simply are not connecting correctly, or you are not disconnecting before trying the next site.  Are you using the "unplug" icon in the Publishing pane to disconnect once you are done with one site? Do your publishing connections have different ftp destination folders defined? 
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:08 PM
  • In the example I gave above, in Expression web if you go to Site / Open Site and in the address type something like:

ftp://myservername/arvixe.com/firstsitename.com and provide the username and password, I see all the files in the website www.firstsitename.com

If I use the address:

ftp://myservername/arvixe.com and provide my credentials, I see all the websites, such as firstsitename.com, secondsitename.com etc, and can click on any one of them to see the files

Then all site files can be published to your local computer.

Personally, I find it a little easier to use an independent ftp client like filezilla to connect to the remote site for the purpose of ftp'ing all the site files to my local computer, but you should be able to do it either way

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Thanks Clark, the filezilla makes total since!

After reading the replies in this thread, I asked the person who designed and is hosting the 3 websites to install Front Page extensions to see if that would allow me to enter the sites with the actual domain address using this prompt; ftp:/ /webaddress.com  (remove space in between forward slashes) and that did the trick. I was able to pull up the ftp files after providing the sign in and password.

Problem Solved, thanks for the assistance everyone!

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Front Page extensions have nothing to do with FTP.  FrontPage extensions use http, not ftp.   Whatever your host did, it wasn't installing the extensions that fixed the issue, if you are connecting with EW's FTP option, not FrontPage Server Extensions option.
    Friday, March 21, 2014 6:42 PM