Basic install and check for updates? RRS feed

• Question

• User396067491 posted

Hi,

We have a small problem in our department where we have a VBA tool that's used in an application.  When the developers update the code on the network or make changes to the functions they have to email the department users and tell them which file to update on their local pc's.  (bet you can guess how that's working out)  So I decided it would be a great idea to create a Setup and Deployment project for it so that in the initial install the user just has to run the setup.exe.  So far so good.  All it does is add the application to the users pc.  However, there are a few things I'm not clear on. 

1.  I'd like to change the default install directory when the setup.exe is run

2.  I'd like to add a prerequesite program check before the install and open that program once the install is complete  (autocad program, and I'd like to check if the user has SQL 2005 enterprise studio installed)

3.  How are updates managed after the user has installed the original version?  So if changes are made to the source code how is the user to know that a new version is available?

Keep in mind I've never created a Setup and Deployment project before and i have little documentation on it.  I have managed to create the basic setup project install but need the above things added. 

thanks!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:19 PM

All replies

• User396067491 posted

Anyone?  I have figured out my first question, but the real problem I'm dealing with now is the updates part.  Since this is a VBA app, I'm just creating a setup and deployment project.  All the examples I have found use a Windows Form project which then allows you to use the ClickOnce publish features which aren't available through a straight clickone project.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:38 PM