How to reduce the size of tfs_projects_log RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Tfs_projects database of 6 GB but when I see the log database Tfs_Projects_logs it is around 37 GB in size. I want to know is there any way to reduce the size of the log database? Or is it advisable to reduce the size?

Regards, Premal Acharya

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Parmel,

More detailed steps you will find here to reduce TFS databases size. Contains very helpful and handy tips.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Premal,

Does the database "Tfs_Projects_logs" stored the log info for your team project collection or trasaction logs? You can backup it first and then shrink the database. You can try the following methods to have a try:

1. By using SQL Server Management Studio: Right click Database ->Task -> shrink File -> shrink Database 

2. Use the following script:

USE [TFS_DefaultCollection]
    GO
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (N'Tfs_DefaultCollection_log',0, TRUNCATEONLY)
    GO

You can also refer to this page to reduce TFS databases.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:59 AM
  • hi Premal

are you running SQL Server Transaction Log backup regularly on Tfs_Projects database ?

you need to create Backup Maintenance plan for TFS databases.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know what is store in Tfs_Projects_log database I don't even see it under SQL server management studio but I see that under the path ..\MSSQL\Data. 

I tried to create maintenance plan for srhink as well as to take backup but I don't see any log database in the list.

That is what I want to know what is stored in Tfs_Projects_log database whether it is safe to delete it or not.

Regards, Premal Acharya

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:06 AM
  • I am using TFS backup wizard to take full, differential and transection backup of all TFS databases. But I want to know what is stored in Tfs_Projects_log database whether it stores history information for checked in data or its a database activity log.

Regards, Premal Acharya

Friday, August 1, 2014 5:09 AM
  • Tfs_Projects_log has a transaction log that recorded all transactions and the database modifications made by each transaction. 
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:00 AM
  • Hi Parmel,

More detailed steps you will find here to reduce TFS databases size. Contains very helpful and handy tips.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks the URL helped me. 

Regards, Premal Acharya

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:05 AM