Design guidelines SettingsPane: Use button to confirm app passcode or not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a Windows 8.1 Store app using C#. The app can be locked with passcode and I am not sure how to implement the corresponding settings page. Adding a custom SettingsFlyout to the SettingsPane is no problem of course but I am not sure about the UI.

So far the SettingsFlyout contains two PasswordBoxes (passcode and confirmations) and a button to apply the changes / set the passcode. However the guidelines for the settingspane say, that user should not have to confirm settings. The settings should be saved on the fly while the user changes them. But I don not think that this would be a good idea here:

After the user entered the passcode and the confirmation the two inputs needs to be compared to make sure they match. Of course this could be done when the user tries to leave the page. But at this time it is the users intention to leave the page and not to check input.

Additionally the passcode should not be set "accidently", the user should be fully aware that he is setting a new passcode.

Thus I prefer to use a button to let the user actively confirm his input. Or is there any other solution that provides the advantages of a button and confirms with the guidelines?

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:17 AM

Answers

• Yes, you should use a button in this case.  This isn't one of those areas that the lack of an "OK" button works well.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:08 PM