none
Why is there no evidence of expression web 4 on my computer after I downloaded it and got confirmation RRS feed

• Question

• I have Expression Web 3, bought it in a box and it has 617 in the product ID, which means I get it free and can download. I went to download the free upgrade to Expression Studio 4 which includes Web 4. After downloading everything says it was sucessful and got confirmation on the site and in email, but I couldn't find it on my computer. Did a search on everything and it's not there. What happened? Of course, giving technical feedback to MS by clicking where they ask for it goes to a page that doesn't say anywhere how to post a problem, just review others. It's a joke. Anyway, I gave up on EW4 and went back to work. Then here it is a week later and I figure I'll try it again, but on my laptop where I also have EW 3 installed. Same thing: download, confirmation, email confirmation, but it's not on my laptop either. Tried search and everything, just like on the desktop. Looked all through the computer. Both computers are new, desktop this year with Windows 7 and lots of speed and memory. Laptop even stronger and only a month old. They both work great. I have Bitdefender security for viruses.

Where's Expression Web 4? No mention of it when I open EW 3. It's the same old 3.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

• The normal IE downloads folder is the folder in my previous post, but users can change it to whatever they want it to be.

Download the trial again, and make a note of where it is being downloaded to. Then use Windows Explorer to locate that folder (or click Open Folder on the download dialogue when it completes)
    and double click the file from there.

You may have set the download to go to the Documents folder - but that is not the default location.
    If you selected Run instead of Save when downloading, the file would be located in a Temp folder and should have started installing - but doing this means you do not have a backup if you ever need to re-install, so always Save programs when downloading them.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    • Marked as answer by graphite1000 Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:19 PM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 7:16 PM

All replies

• Unless you change it, downloads normally go to the Downloads folder in Windows 7, that is
    Desktop\Libraries\Downloads, or
    USers\<Your userName>\Downloads in Windows Explorer.
    And the download will stay there until you install it.
    After installing, you will have both version 3 and 4 ready for use. Version 4 does not overwrite version 3 in any way, and version 3 will never know that version 4 exists.

Ron Symonds

Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:08 PM
  • I didn't know they went there but in my search for the file I found the downloads folder and it/they are empty on both computers, whether in my private user download folder or public. I did a search for all download folders and they are the same and all empty. I never found an IE downloads folder.
    graphite1000
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:41 PM
  • The normal IE downloads folder is the folder in my previous post, but users can change it to whatever they want it to be.

Download the trial again, and make a note of where it is being downloaded to. Then use Windows Explorer to locate that folder (or click Open Folder on the download dialogue when it completes)
    and double click the file from there.

You may have set the download to go to the Documents folder - but that is not the default location.
    If you selected Run instead of Save when downloading, the file would be located in a Temp folder and should have started installing - but doing this means you do not have a backup if you ever need to re-install, so always Save programs when downloading them.

Ron Symonds

• Marked as answer by graphite1000 Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:19 PM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 7:16 PM
  • I will try that and save it when I get a chance, but MS download instructions were  to "Run" the program, not save it. I also checked the Temporary internet files on both computers and it wasn't there, but I never had that problem and I've been around since DOS. I even told both computers to not hide hidden folders, but no success there either. The Windows 7 search function is so complete that it should have brought it up, but it brought up nothing - on both computers. You would think that with my laptop, which is a pretty good one, and barely out of the box (but I have many programs already downloaded on it that worked perfect and the Windows 7 has not been altered at al by me - I never touch the system), that MS would have created a system that works, or at least a way to contact them if there is a problem. You can't even report technical problems, yet they ask you to, but make it so impossible that you can't do it. Expression Web, which I think is excellent and have dealt since it came out, is not going to go very far it they can't make it work smoothly with their latest operating system, Windows 7, their supposed crown jewel. Something screwed up royal on two new computers. Very time consuming and frustrating. I hope you pass feedback on to them, because I sure can't.
    graphite1000
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Have you checked the Start > All Programs menu?

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Yes I checked the All Programs. Did that on my desktop a week ago. It would have come up in the Windows 7 search, or should have, as it is very complete, but I went to all programs and about everywhere else in the computer and it was just not there. The previous answer by Ronx solved the problem, anyway. Instead of hitting Run, as the download page instructed, saving it to a location and then clicking on it after download worked fine and all is well now. I would just advise everyone who has Windows 7 (and mine is new and unaltered in both computers) to not click Run as instructed, but save it, even though I have never had to do that in the past over many years of downloads. But, happily, it's all done now, after a few extra hours of trying to figure out where the confirmed download went in both computers. It's in cyberspace, that's where.

And one more thing. This is the first time I have used this forum. I got good quick response and I appreciate those who helped on a sunday - and superbowl sunday at that. Of course the world does not revolve around football.

And I also want to say that one of the best things that MS has done over the last few years is develop Expression Web - a fantastic program. Keep it up.

graphite1000

Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:25 PM
  • "Superbowl?" What is this Superb Owl Sunday of which you speak? A holiday? What a quaint way to honor such a magnificent bird.
    February 2--Groundhog Day--the day we celebrate the invention of sausage.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:21 PM