none
trying to publish a website RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to publish my website. After I publish, my home page is the only page that will show up. My links are not working and my css pages is not working.I have tried linking and importing by css to all my pages but it does not work. when i transfer my files to my remote site they have question marks and say conflict. I am really stuck!

I would appreciate any help I can get

Thanks

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• You have to take a look at the structure of the directories on the server to make sure that you are publishing to the right folder. 

It depends on the host.

Some hosts have mutiple websites with each on it's own folder and others use redirection.

Some have the FrontPage Extensions installed on the root of all folders and others do it on the folder for each website.

Who is hosting the website? What is the OS on the server?

You may want to open up the root folder on the host using Filezilla FTP and make sure that you are publishing to where you think you are publishing.

I have clients that have the same problems when they publish to their websites. They aren't publishing to the right folder at the destination.  Sometime the correct folder and path they have to enter into the EW 4 is not what you expect, in order to get it to work, not because of EW necessarily but because of the host setup.

GW
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:39 AM

All replies

• what is your link?

Which version of ew are you using?

Did you make a Web within EW?

How are yoiu publishing?

Does the host have fpse on or are you using ftp are you publishing from within ew (from the sound of it you are) What is the ftp path you are using?

Tina

Expression  Web Help | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
    Free Setting up EW Ebooks - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Do your links point to the pages using the proper paths.  I suspect, if you post a link to your website, you'll see the paths for your links pointing to folders/directories on your local computer.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:15 PM
  • I would appreciate any help I can get

And we would appreciate a link to the site in question. No mind readers here, and it is impossible to tell from your description what your markup looks like. I strongly suspect that Chris's guess is correct, but a guess it is, and is all it can be without seeing the markup. Post a link.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    • Proposed as answer by G_Wilson Friday, August 13, 2010 3:32 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:08 PM
  • You have to take a look at the structure of the directories on the server to make sure that you are publishing to the right folder. 

It depends on the host.

Some hosts have mutiple websites with each on it's own folder and others use redirection.

Some have the FrontPage Extensions installed on the root of all folders and others do it on the folder for each website.

Who is hosting the website? What is the OS on the server?

You may want to open up the root folder on the host using Filezilla FTP and make sure that you are publishing to where you think you are publishing.

I have clients that have the same problems when they publish to their websites. They aren't publishing to the right folder at the destination.  Sometime the correct folder and path they have to enter into the EW 4 is not what you expect, in order to get it to work, not because of EW necessarily but because of the host setup.

GW
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:39 AM