Meaning of Assembly & AppDomain RRS feed

• Question

• Quick Question: What do "Assembly" & "AppDomain" mean?

Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:10 PM

Answers

• Assembly - Assemblage of files comprising a .NET application. Files include the deployment information, resource, security management, sharing, versioning, and the executable MSIL code. An assembly may reside in a single .DLL or .EXE file or multiple files.

AppDomain (Application Domain) - The logical and physical boundary created around every .NET application by the CLR. The CLR can allow multiple .NET applications to be run in a single process by loading them into separate application domains. The CLR isolates each application domain from all other application domains and prevents the configuration, security, or stability of a running .NET applications from affecting other applications. Objects can only be moved between application domains by the use of remoting.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Hi yunring,

I think Ron.Whittle’s answer is perfect.

Based on my understanding, your second problem concerns the methods function of the .Net IsolatedStorageFile Class, I think you can check the MSDN article below to get some information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.isolatedstorage.isolatedstoragefile.aspx

Or you can consult your question with .NET Base Class Library

Regards,

Xun

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 7:11 AM

All replies

• Assembly - Assemblage of files comprising a .NET application. Files include the deployment information, resource, security management, sharing, versioning, and the executable MSIL code. An assembly may reside in a single .DLL or .EXE file or multiple files.

AppDomain (Application Domain) - The logical and physical boundary created around every .NET application by the CLR. The CLR can allow multiple .NET applications to be run in a single process by loading them into separate application domains. The CLR isolates each application domain from all other application domains and prevents the configuration, security, or stability of a running .NET applications from affecting other applications. Objects can only be moved between application domains by the use of remoting.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Even though Ron explained very well, there is still something about the concept of "Application", "Assembly", and "AppDomain" in the context of "IsolatedStorageFile" class.

As I go through 70-356 book, I noticed three static functions are defined in "IsolatedStorageFile" class.

* IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStorageForAssembly();

* IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStorageForApplication();

* IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStorageForDomain();

--> IsolatedStorageFile is to used to restrict access to the storage area reserved for the code being compiled (?)

--> what do these three functions really acheive?

They are used as in the following:

Line1) IsolatedStorageFile userStore = IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStorageForAssembly();

Line2) IsolatedStorageFileStream userStream = new IsolateStorageFileStream("UserSettings.set",FileMode.Create,userStorage);

Line3) StreamWriter userWriter = new StreamWriter(userStream);

I really don't have a clue what I am doing with the IsolatedStorageFile here. Any help would be nice.

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Hi yunring,

I think Ron.Whittle’s answer is perfect.

Based on my understanding, your second problem concerns the methods function of the .Net IsolatedStorageFile Class, I think you can check the MSDN article below to get some information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.isolatedstorage.isolatedstoragefile.aspx

Or you can consult your question with .NET Base Class Library

Regards,

Xun

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 7:11 AM