SP List as an External DataSource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to add a SharePoint list as an Externale DataSource? I can't find a pre-defined setting. I also can't create a common ODBC source for a SP list. I've already tried both creating a standard connection string and coppying the connection string from MS Access linked table. Both of them causes an error 'Could not find installable ISAM'.

So, I can propose that either it is impossible at all or I have an incorrect connection string.

I tried this one:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;WSS;IMEX=2;RetrieveIds=Yes;DATABASE=my_sp_site_here;LIST={list_GUID_here};

Thanks in advance!

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Andrey,

Have you installed ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1 on your Sharepoint 2010 server - see extract from post installation steps.

I hope this helps.

Xerxel

Install ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1

ADO.NET Data Services is required for a data feed export of SharePoint lists. SharePoint 2010 does not include this component in the PrerequisiteInstaller program, so you must install it manually.

1. Go to the hardware and software requirements documentation for SharePoint 2010, Determine Hardware and Software Requirements (SharePoint 2010)

2. In Installing software prerequisites, find the link for ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 that corresponds to the operating system you are using (either Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Server 2008 R2).

3. Click the link and run the setup program that installs the service.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrey,

Have you installed ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1 on your Sharepoint 2010 server - see extract from post installation steps.

I hope this helps.

Xerxel

Install ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1

ADO.NET Data Services is required for a data feed export of SharePoint lists. SharePoint 2010 does not include this component in the PrerequisiteInstaller program, so you must install it manually.

1. Go to the hardware and software requirements documentation for SharePoint 2010, Determine Hardware and Software Requirements (SharePoint 2010)

2. In Installing software prerequisites, find the link for ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 that corresponds to the operating system you are using (either Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Server 2008 R2).

3. Click the link and run the setup program that installs the service.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Xerxel,

frankly, I'm playing with Sharepoint Online (Office 365), so, as you understand, server side is not my area here. :)

Just interesting fact, that we have an ability to import/link/collaborate with SP lists in every Office product, but there is no such a 'magic button' in PowerPivot. That's why I want to know whether it is possible.

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Andrey,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:30 PM