none
Questions about knowledgebase article delete files issue

Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to follow the directions in this article:  Knowledgebase article 248697

to delete files in the step "6. Search for and delete all occurrences of the following files on your local hard drives: ".It worked for some files, but some files are giving me problems and I don't know why.

As an example, If I search for and try to delete the "HHCTRL.OCX" files, it finds them as you can see here:

Search results for HHCTRL.OCX 

If I try to delete the two "hhctrl.ocx" files, it gives this dialog box:

Then, if I click "Continue", I get this error:

I cannot delete these files and I don't know how to get permission from a TrustedInstaller.

Does anybody know how to delete these files?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

• Edited by Carneno Friday, April 29, 2016 7:32 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This actually is not a question about a KB, it's a question about how to delete files in Windows.

I'd try running a prompt as an administrator and removing the files.

You might also try logging into the PS as Administrator.

For further help, I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Hi Karl,

For the previous issue, I think Just Karl's suggestion was helpful for this issue, am I right? If it is helpful for you, please mark that helpful reply as the answer.

For this new issue:

>>The article says to search for and delete "HHCTRL.OCX".  The search also finds "hhctrl.ocx.mui". Should I also delete those files?

My suggestion is that you don't have to delete that file, just refer to the kb, delete the files which has the same name in your local machine.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Carneno Monday, May 02, 2016 1:12 PM
    Monday, May 02, 2016 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This actually is not a question about a KB, it's a question about how to delete files in Windows.

I'd try running a prompt as an administrator and removing the files.

You might also try logging into the PS as Administrator.

For further help, I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Hello Karl.

Thanks for your help with this problem.

I tried running a command prompt as Administrator and that did not help.  It gives "Access Denied".

I think you are right.  I will be asking this question in a more appropriate forum since it seems to be more of a security issue.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Karl,

One question I forgot to ask that you might be able to help me with.

The article says to search for and delete "HHCTRL.OCX".  The search also finds "hhctrl.ocx.mui".

Should I also delete those files?

Thanks,
    Tony

Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Hi Karl,

For the previous issue, I think Just Karl's suggestion was helpful for this issue, am I right? If it is helpful for you, please mark that helpful reply as the answer.

For this new issue:

>>The article says to search for and delete "HHCTRL.OCX".  The search also finds "hhctrl.ocx.mui". Should I also delete those files?

My suggestion is that you don't have to delete that file, just refer to the kb, delete the files which has the same name in your local machine.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Carneno Monday, May 02, 2016 1:12 PM
    Monday, May 02, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Hello,

I'd highly recommend not deleting anything unless the article says to delete it, or the folks over on answers.microsoft.com say to.

Karl

Monday, May 02, 2016 2:57 PM