Subsites Quotas Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My company is planning to implement a MOSS site for departments. Our business wants to be able to view or control the amount storage space thats limited to the subsites inside a site collection. Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:38 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

As Jason suggested, using quota template is a wise choice to limit or monitor your space allocation for some special site collection. After you assign a quota template to a site collection, it will have the “storage space allocation”  function added to site collection administration.  After enter it, you can even monitor storage conditions of more detail content units (libraries, lists etc.).

If  you need to do so only at subsite level, I suggest you to export and import this subsite to a new created site collection. Then never add more subsites to this site collection. Then you can consider the whole site collection as the one you want then apply quota template.

This is the link you can find detail about stsadm.exe –o import/export command:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263384.aspx

But, if you don’t like to do that, you can go to “storage space allocation” I mentioned to calculate all the content volume belongs to your subsite manually.

Hope it can help you.

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:53 AM

All replies

• vgurusam said:

Hi all,

My company is planning to implement a MOSS site for departments. Our business wants to be able to view or control the amount storage space thats limited to the subsites inside a site collection. Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,

A few words of wisdom would be to first before creating any sites or site collections plan your quotas storage.  That means plan what each site collection will be used for being that the quota is at the site collection level and not at the site level.  Also make sure that you plan for storage room in the recycling bin as this will count against the total storage quota.  If you decide that you want to change a site collections quota after you have created site collections using s specific quota template you will have to run an stsadm command in order to change this.  Additionally I remember running into some issues using the STSADM to increase quota template storage size and used Gary Lapointe's STSADM extension to solve this problem.

Other than using STSADM to get run through your quota templates and which site collections are using what quota templates management is a bit under par IMHO.  If you need granular control and reporting type functionality you might want to look at some 3rd party product like AvePoints DocAve.

HTH,

Cheers,

Jason Medero, WSS MVP, B&R Business Solutions, www.sharepointblogs.com/jasonmedero
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comments. I found another blog which says actually getting the subsite quota http://raiumair.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/site-quota-web-part/ as described. I'm still trying to create this web part and run it to verify it works. Please let me know your thoughts regarding getting the subsite quotas as per the above blog.

Thanks,

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  

Hello,

As Jason suggested, using quota template is a wise choice to limit or monitor your space allocation for some special site collection. After you assign a quota template to a site collection, it will have the “storage space allocation”  function added to site collection administration.  After enter it, you can even monitor storage conditions of more detail content units (libraries, lists etc.).

If  you need to do so only at subsite level, I suggest you to export and import this subsite to a new created site collection. Then never add more subsites to this site collection. Then you can consider the whole site collection as the one you want then apply quota template.

This is the link you can find detail about stsadm.exe –o import/export command:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263384.aspx

But, if you don’t like to do that, you can go to “storage space allocation” I mentioned to calculate all the content volume belongs to your subsite manually.

Hope it can help you.

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:53 AM