none
Windows Video Redirection to linux system? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a question about  Windows Video Redirection to linux system.

i review the [MS-RDPEV] document and know that video redirection data needs Directshow to decode in client side.

But Linux system don't has Directshow to  decode video redirection data from windows.

Do I need software or hardware  supports from Microsoft products ?

Or what of method i can use to resove this problem.

Thanks all.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:17 AM

Answers

• Franceko

You do not have to implement DShow support to get media redirection working.  Any media platform can be used.  As long as the Linux implementation translates the wire messages (from the server), such as format specification,  you can use any media platform to playback.

In order to get the widest range of support you should advertise you support DShow. What would be presented over the wire will now only be DShow.  TSMM_PLATFORM_COOKIE_DSHOW is used to determine what media platform the media application on the Windows server should be using. If this is set the media pipeline on the server will use the DShow infrastructure. The client advertises the formats it supports (The GUIDS for the different media formats are published in MSDN: see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787271(VS.85).aspx). Once this is established, the server starts to send the compressed stream, along with geometry information (where to display the video) as well as player controls such as start, stop, pause, play etc. These data streams are agnostic to the media platform one will use on the client to decode and play the content. As long as the Linux version of the decoder can understand and accurately decode the media stream, as well as the geometry and player control information, it would work.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Monday, January 31, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Franceko:

I have alerted protocol documentation team about your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:35 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, Franceko,

I am researching this for you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Franceko

You do not have to implement DShow support to get media redirection working.  Any media platform can be used.  As long as the Linux implementation translates the wire messages (from the server), such as format specification,  you can use any media platform to playback.

In order to get the widest range of support you should advertise you support DShow. What would be presented over the wire will now only be DShow.  TSMM_PLATFORM_COOKIE_DSHOW is used to determine what media platform the media application on the Windows server should be using. If this is set the media pipeline on the server will use the DShow infrastructure. The client advertises the formats it supports (The GUIDS for the different media formats are published in MSDN: see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787271(VS.85).aspx). Once this is established, the server starts to send the compressed stream, along with geometry information (where to display the video) as well as player controls such as start, stop, pause, play etc. These data streams are agnostic to the media platform one will use on the client to decode and play the content. As long as the Linux version of the decoder can understand and accurately decode the media stream, as well as the geometry and player control information, it would work.

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:23 PM