Azure file shares where I can instead of using OS attached disks RRS feed

• Question

• So I would like to use Azure file shares where I can instead of using OS attached disks. For this to happen the shares have to be available as mapped drives to not only Users but also services, and scheduled tasks as well. I have yet to figure out the trick to make this happen, and just maybe it's not possible. What I have tried...

1. Power shell script: I have mounted the shares using the -Persist option but they are not visible outside the session. I.e. to file explorer

2. Command Line: Same results as power shell. 

WLT

Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:53 PM

All replies

• If I have understood your question correctly, you wish to provision an Operating System on an Azure File Share and not on Azure Page Blob (VHD). If this is the case, you may post your feedback here. Further to highlight, like any other computer, virtual machines in Azure use disks as a place to store an operating system, applications, and data. All Azure virtual machines have at least two disks – an operating system disk and a temporary disk. The operating system disk is created from an image, and both the operating system disk and the image are actually virtual hard disks (VHDs) stored in an Azure storage account. Virtual machines also can have one or more data disks, that are also stored as VHDs.

The VHDs used in Azure are .vhd files stored as page blobs in a standard or premium storage account in Azure. For details about page blobs, see Understanding block blobs and page blobs.

You may wish to know; Azure Managed Disks simplifies disk management for Azure IaaS VMs by managing the storage accounts associated with the VM disks. You only have to specify the type (Premium or Standard) and the size of disk you need, and Azure creates and manages the disk for you. You may refer this document Azure Managed Disks Overview for more details on this topic.

Microsoft Azure provides several features in Azure Storage for storing and accessing your data in the cloud. This article Deciding when to use Azure Blobs, Azure Files, or Azure Disks covers Azure Files, Blobs, and Disks, and is designed to help you choose between these features.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:25 PM