Stretch Cluster / SQL Server AG in Azure and ON-prem RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone, 

I know I have a problem with my configuration but I'm not sure how to solve it.

I have a 4 node cluster, 2 in azure, and 2 in an on prem datacenter connected via ExpressRoute

There are two subnets involved the one in azure and the one on prem

10.20.0.0/24 is the Azure Subnet (azuresubnet)
    10.2.0.0/24 is the On Prem subnet (localsubnet)

I have configured a Failover Cluster named AZRSQLCLUST (10.20.0.254) and the namespace is managed by an Azure Load balancer. 

I have configured a cloud witness for the namespace.   All 4 nodes can connect to this Cloud Witness and Resolve the Windows Failover Cluster name. 

I've configured 5 AG Listeners on the same Load balancer.  I have configured them with the following IP addresses.  

Everything works.  The 10.20.0.x addresses are the ones ONLINE with the AG Listener names.

I've also added the appropriate addresses for the On Prem resources (localsubnet)

The problem is I can't add those addresses to the Loadbalancer in Azure because obviously it's not on the same subnet.  My guess is I need some sort of loadbalancer on prem as well correct?  All clients can resolve the name in DNS for each of the listener, what's going to happen though if the Azure Load Balancer goes offline for some reason?  There'll be nothing to host the Cluster Name.  

Can I use the NLB tool in Windows Server 2016 in an on prem virtual machine to host the "names" of the AG and the Cluster along with the IP addresses I want to use above (which have already been configured in WFSC

I do get warnings in the failover cluster manager about unable to control the IP address (on prem address here) and that this may be normal if my cluster spans subnets.

The ultimate goal here is to have Primary and Secondary replica in Azure with an ASYNCH copy of everything in the on prem nodes as a 'retreat' option from Azure.

Thoughts?
    thanks
    r/
    john

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:21 PM

Answers

• UPDATED

>>>>>>>>>

I tested a failover of an Availability group in Azure that hosts a Primary replica to the ASYNC copy on prem.  Lo and behold everything came up ok on the cluster and the on prem server was marked as PRIMARY.  

I don't get how that worked though as nothing is assigned the 10.2.0.x addresses, except for the resource inside of the Windows cluster. 

It works, I'm not complaining but I don't know what's going on underneath.  If I lose my Azure connection I'll lose access to the Load balancer (only configured as a private IP) and then cluster won't work.  I need to figure out how to survive that.  

Thanks for the help
    r/
    john

• Marked as answer by johnwildes Monday, March 19, 2018 7:31 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 8:51 PM

All replies

• UPDATED

>>>>>>>>>

I tested a failover of an Availability group in Azure that hosts a Primary replica to the ASYNC copy on prem.  Lo and behold everything came up ok on the cluster and the on prem server was marked as PRIMARY.  

I don't get how that worked though as nothing is assigned the 10.2.0.x addresses, except for the resource inside of the Windows cluster. 

It works, I'm not complaining but I don't know what's going on underneath.  If I lose my Azure connection I'll lose access to the Load balancer (only configured as a private IP) and then cluster won't work.  I need to figure out how to survive that.  

Thanks for the help
    r/
    john

• Marked as answer by johnwildes Monday, March 19, 2018 7:31 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Hi john,

We are currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Thanks Hannah,

john

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Hi john,

Based on my research, the on premise doesn’t support Load Balancer, so I guess you could not add the local Balancer IP to Azure. And the failover to on premise depends on the Cluster IP. You can check them in the failover Cluster Manger. The relationship between these Cluster IP should be ‘OR’.

In addition, The AG listener is used to connect to AG Group. And there is nothing to do with AG listener IP you add like 10.2.x. when failover.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:11 AM