none
switch from one programming language to another RRS feed

• Question

• I finished learning c# and before I start learning. net technologies I would like to know how much time it take to learn similar topics(e.g threading or networking) in other langueges? do I need to start from scratch?
    Friday, May 24, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

• After I was first exposed to a "thread", with no guidance whatsoever, it took me about a year of experimentation to fully grasp what was going on.  Of course, I was self-taught with little or no access to academic resources, and I was just a kid at the time.

This is a great forum, so why not just ask specific questions as you go?  I'm sure you can ask specific questions and have them answered in an hour or less and save yourself a year of head-scratching.

But this all depends on your goal.  Do you want to start from scratch?  Or do you just have a certain task to accomplish?  I'm a big proponent of starting from scratch, but then again, it's not for everyone.

Consider this:

• Can you drive a car without understanding friction?  Yes.
    • Should you drive a car on an icy road without understanding friction?  Probably not.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 5:20 PM
  • The primary learning curve should be in language syntax.  Once you understand fundamental .Net Framework concepts, the only major difference between languages is typically syntax.  The Framework itself is the same regardless of language and there will only be a few language-specific features which may not directly carry over when moving to another .Net language.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:49 PM

All replies

• After I was first exposed to a "thread", with no guidance whatsoever, it took me about a year of experimentation to fully grasp what was going on.  Of course, I was self-taught with little or no access to academic resources, and I was just a kid at the time.

This is a great forum, so why not just ask specific questions as you go?  I'm sure you can ask specific questions and have them answered in an hour or less and save yourself a year of head-scratching.

But this all depends on your goal.  Do you want to start from scratch?  Or do you just have a certain task to accomplish?  I'm a big proponent of starting from scratch, but then again, it's not for everyone.

Consider this:

• Can you drive a car without understanding friction?  Yes.
    • Should you drive a car on an icy road without understanding friction?  Probably not.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 5:20 PM
  • The primary learning curve should be in language syntax.  Once you understand fundamental .Net Framework concepts, the only major difference between languages is typically syntax.  The Framework itself is the same regardless of language and there will only be a few language-specific features which may not directly carry over when moving to another .Net language.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:49 PM